C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

help! i can get my tank out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 12:47 PM
64365coupe
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Default help! i can't get my tank out!

hi guys,
i have a 64 coupe with a 383 small block. I've been having problems with it
missing and running lean in 2nd and 3rd gear WOT. i have a edelbrock fuel pump and 3/8 line from the tank to the carb. i put a fuel pressure gauge on the car and found out the fuel pressure is dropping below 3 lbs! i figured a restriction as the pump is new so i pulled the sender to make sure theres not a restriction in the sender. its ok... I'm on my back and the rubber "o" ring on the sender is swollen a bit and i cant get the retainer in to turn it into place so instead of fighting it I'll pull the tank. 4 bolts right?
well, its loose but it wont drop! the front hits the fiberglass body and the rear is above the rear frame cross brace.
Is there a trick to these? being on your back stinks. :mad
you help would be appreciated :yesnod: thanks guys !
steve keech sarasota florida

[Modified by 64365coupe, 11:48 AM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-02-2001, 01:04 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Re: help! i can't get my tank out! (64365coupe)

According to my shop manual, after you've moved the exhaust out of the way and disconnected everything, you have to "Lower tank and rotate toward front of the vehicle." I assume that means you have to rotate the tank so a smaller dimension will fit through the opening. I hope this helps.
Tom
Old 09-02-2001, 02:02 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: help! i can't get my tank out! (kellsdad)

64365coupe,

We just removed our '67 tank recently. Have you removed the filler neck extension between the gas cap and the tank itself? There are 8 or 10 very small allen-key head bolts holding it onto the tank.

When the extension has been removed, you can then rotate the gas tank forward further.

To get at the extension, you should remove the external gas cap cover and the rubber boot. Then, you can see and get at the small bolts.

Good luck!
:smash:

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 6:05 PM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-02-2001, 07:14 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: help! i can't get my tank out! (Patrick Tighe)

I checked and the bolts I mentioned in the earlier post are not allen-key type but are small bolts with normal heads.

The 1967 Service Manual states "CAUTION: Coupe-install filler neck after tank is installed" (page 8-19) so from that I would assume that it should be removed prior to dropping the tank. Certainly worked better for us that way, anyway! :smash: :smash:
Old 09-03-2001, 02:30 PM
Stingrr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick, is that the original tank sticker in the photo of the gas tank? Dang, that's one well-preserved sticker! Most of the ones I've seen were barely legible, including the ones on the two '67s I have. Considering that West Virginia is in the Snow Belt, it's amazing your sticker has come through so well.
Old 09-03-2001, 03:49 PM
3Mar67
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 55 Posts

My sticker was removed a few years ago. I don't have the guts to rinse it in water.
Old 09-03-2001, 04:21 PM
3Mar67
Pro

Patrick, maybe you can give me some advice. My 67 was sold new in Wisconsin. How do I go about getting a title search done?
Thanks....Mario
Old 09-03-2001, 05:30 PM
3Mar67
Pro

Go to your internet providers seach engine and type in "Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles".....then you will get a list of those type of sites. Find the site which has the title seach subject. Most states have downloadable forms for requesting a title search or history, based on your VIN. Mine cost me $10.

Thanks Patrick, I'll give it a try.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:15 PM
wernerreis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i understand your post, you want to install a sending unit into t eh tank of a '64, and you are having trouble putting in the cam retainer and so yo want to remove the tank?? no, no, no!!! well, i did this earlier this summer. if you have the $15 tool to turn the retainer, then it is easy. the tool is important because it lets you push the retainer up against the tank, which you cannot do with a screwdriver.

if you cannot get the retainer to go beneath the mating piece on the tank, simply use needle nose pliers to put a slight bend into the leading edges of the retainer, just the tip of the edges.
this will make it very easy to start the retainer and the cam edges will still give lots of pressure on the o-ring. i installed the unit in about ten minutes doing it this way and it is perfect.
man, anything has to easier than pullling the tank if you don't have to.
best, wernerreis :jester
Old 09-04-2001, 07:47 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: help! i can't get my tank out! (wernerreis)

I agree with wernerries, don't pull the tank! Get the special tool and use some petroleum jelly on the 'o' ring. With pressure it will slip right in and lock tightly. Man, that's a lotta work if you don't have to do it. :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To help! i can get my tank out!

Quick Reply: help! i can get my tank out!