C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need some Holley Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:51 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Need some Holley Help!

I found the fuel inlet leaking on my Holley -- #80457-2. Turned out to be a stripped inlet so I ordered a new primary fuel bowl kit.

It'll take about a week to get here. In the meantime I rigged up a brass fitting into the old fuel bowl with about 1/8 inch more bite and a brass elbow with a fuel nipple to my fuel line.

Good news is... the leak stopped.

Bad news is... when I start up the engine... fuel spills at a high rate into the secondaries...flooding out the engine.

The primaries seem to be operating fine....and the engine runs great for about 3-minutes....but fuel continues to pour into the secondaries until it floods them out. And continues to run (not drip)....for up to 5 minutes after I turn off the engine.

What's going on here? I never touched the secondary fuel bowl!

Do I have too much fuel pressure coming in now?

Any help would be appreciated. -Thanks.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that there is a fuel feed tube between the primary and secondary fuel bowls and a metal shaving from the stripped threads has traveled to the secondary fuel needle/seat.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rgs
I assume that there is a fuel feed tube between the primary and secondary fuel bowls and a metal shaving from the stripped threads has traveled to the secondary fuel needle/seat.
That's something entirely possible. I'll take off the secondary bowl and inspect the fuel needle/seat.

I know it doesn't take much to stick that needle open.

You don't think this has anything to do with me changing the diameter of the fittings going from the fuel line to the carb? ( I had to increase it up to 1/2 inch to make the turn... but then reduced it back to 9/16 - 24 at the inlet.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:53 PM
rgs
Drifting

The change in fuel line size shouldn't change the pressure at the needle. You also do not want to take the bowl off. Just loosen the lock and remove the needle/seat from the top of the bowl to inspect it.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 PM
NedP1
Racer

Try tapping smartly on the side of the bowl first. This is likely to dislodge the needle.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:31 PM
rgs
Drifting

I wouldn't want a piece of metal shaving bouncing around in my float bowl. I once found a fly in a main jet. Had to of come in through a vent tube when the air cleaner was off.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 AM
abedford
Advanced

Originally Posted by KENS78SILVERANNIV
Turned out to be a stripped inlet so I ordered a new primary fuel bowl kit. In the meantime I rigged up a brass fitting into the old fuel bowl with about 1/8 inch more bite and a brass elbow with a fuel nipple to my fuel line.
On a side note, just be VERY careful here... I actually did this exact thing about a decade ago on a small block equipped Monza (yes, Monza). I rigged up the fuel inlet, started the car and saw no leaks anywhere, and took off on a quick test drive.

It was after dark and I noticed a strange orange glow from under the hood about 2 miles out...

The fire department arrived quickly, but my poor old Monza was still .

It was a piece of junk anyway, but that car was a serious sleeper - not many people expected to have their doors blown off by a green MONZA!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:47 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Just a note of Thanks to all who suggested a stuck needle and seat.

I removed the secondary needle... blew it out with compressed air and after blowing out the bowl....reinstalled it and readjusted the float.

I also reset the gap for the accelerator pump for a litle more agressive blast of fuel into the primaries.

The carb runs like a champ... no smoke... no flooding.

Thanks guys!

By the way... Holley has an awesome tech site at their main website: www.holley.com

It's written in plain, easily understood English and the directions are simple and clear. Everything from trouble-shooting to tuning.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some Holley Help!

Quick Reply: Need some Holley Help!