C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Running my 396 last night.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 12:42 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Running my 396 last night. (Elmer)

6500 Is correct, yes the shroud looks cut away. (sort of)
As I recall, by the harmonic ballancer area on the frame is opened up to allow the larger Ballancer.
If memory serves me, thats the fast way to check. But you need to compare it to a small block car.
Also the batt is on the dr side. If it was converted you should see where
the batt used to live on the pass side. (unless it was a small block with air)
This hurts my memory! :crazy:
Been gone a few days, is this car new to you? There are lots of little ways to tell a BB car from a small block car. Like the heavy cap screws on the rear u-joints. But the block pad is key to an orig block.* susp, rear sway bar, alum rad, 65 only heads,alum intake, Ti ignition, ex manifolds, fan, air cleaner cover, No air cond,4 spd,& only a few had P.S., are other give-aways. Your car sounds good so far.
But its hard to tell from this far away. :lol:
P.S. I am no expert! They are lurking around us though. :D
Old 09-05-2001, 10:18 AM
Elmer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Running my 396 last night. (396 RAT)

396 Rat, my battery is on the drivers side. It all points to be an original car and the previous owner (66 year old man who has had Vettes for 35 years and currently has a 435 HP 67, said it is a real 396 car). He told me the gauge had been replaced with a temp gauge from a 66 427. Thanks for all the data !! Elmer
Old 09-05-2001, 11:00 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

I would also ditch the fan clutch, and try a direct drive unit with the orig. fan.
My vette was given this treatment along with a new alum Rad in 72 and is still
running cool.

As a side note, I have ditched the thermostat on small block Fords since I bought my 1st one in 1975. Many claim the water will flow too fast and not have a chance to cool, but I have never found this to be true.
Drilling a hole is also a good idea, But just so you know, I have thrown may in the trash and not replaced them. Really a bummer when they stick closed.
But have only owned 2 Chevys, a 65 365, and my current vette and have not had big cooling problems. On my 396, timing makes a difference in hot and cold starting and operating temp more than any other V8 I have owned.
Good luck! You will get it! Trial and error :smash:
Post some pic's (or if I missed 'em repost 'em) :cheers:
Old 09-05-2001, 11:00 PM
olredalert
Racer

Elmer,
Dont have alot of time right now but thought I would chime in and make sure that you know that there are no differences in the frames between a small block and big block during most of 65.There are several things that attach to the frame that are specific to one or the other,however.This misnomer comes about because early 65 frames,long before 396s were available,(very early)had the same front crossmember as a 64 without the infamous big-block dip(for front harmonic balancer and pulley clearance).Sometime during early production the new front crossmember was substituted for the notchless one at the frame manufacturing facility(cant remember the co.name right now).Your late serial no. would make it impossible for your frame to be an early frame unless thru some god-awful re-do someone put an early frame under your car.I seriously doubt it.Hope this drivel helps! ...............Bill S
Old 09-05-2001, 11:44 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Running my 396 last night. (olredalert)

This misnomer comes about because early 65 frames,long before 396s were available,(very early)had the same front crossmember as a 64 without the infamous big-block dip(for front harmonic balancer and pulley clearance).

oops.... :bb :bb :bb

(My 65 365 must have been an early one) Sorry, my mistake

[Modified by 396 RAT, 9:46 PM 9/5/2001]
Old 09-06-2001, 05:35 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default You just added a little too much to the overflow tank

You just added a little too much to the overflow tank.

Andy
Old 09-06-2001, 06:54 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...just to clarify a point...i would agree that running straight water is not recommended but if you run water, you need to add prestone pump additive which contains inhibitors and goodies for the pump bearing...the way to go during the hot season! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

[Modified by Kid_Again, 4:55 PM 9/6/2001]

Quick Reply: Running my 396 last night.