C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 02:01 PM
KJLVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle

Has anyone replaced theirs? Can you give me any advice on repair procedure. The good news is my hood is open, the bad news is that the Hood Release Handle came all the way out. When I pulled the handle for the last time - it snapped and came all the way out - the rod, stud and handle total about 17''long - as it has snapped clean off in the retainer. Don't know if its a 38 year old fatigue problem or if I was just too much in a hurry and hurt her myself. From what I can gather as I looked through the parts books last night I should be able to purchase the Handle only, along with Grommet, and Retainer and screw set to repair it. It appears that if the new handle comes with the thin rod attached to it that it will probably be 18'' long and that I can simply remove the broken piece of steel in the original retainer and slide the new rod in, and crimp it in place - should be good as new! Right ??
Thanks for any help you can provide
Kevin
Old 09-04-2001, 07:15 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle (KJLVette)

Right, out with the old, in with the new.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:20 AM
KJLVette
Instructor

Default Re: Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle (MasterDave)

Thanks for the verification MasterDave :cool:
Old 09-05-2001, 12:55 PM
midyearinterest
Instructor

Default Re: Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle (KJLVette)

I replaced the hood release cable on my 66. The kit is available from Corvette America and the others as well for around $50. It comes complete with the flange to attach to the dash and firewall gromet. Some care is needed during the tension adjustment and the AIM is helpful in posistioning the brass cable anchor. This was one of the easier replacements I ve done and really improved the operation of the hood release.
Old 09-05-2001, 05:14 PM
KJLVette
Instructor

Default Re: Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle (midyearinterest)

Thanks midyearinterest That's what I was hoping to hear :D I have the parts you've mentioned already on order - Can't wait to get them :jester
Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle

Quick Reply: Help! - Broke Hood Release Handle