C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My fuel system update

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 02:55 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My fuel system update

I thought it would be better to start a new topic and update everyone on my fuel system/pump. I pulled the carb, purchased a new pump and pulled the tank. I pulled the bowls off the carb and there is a little rusty grit in there and the float was stuck. Cleaning and reassembly of it will be my first step. Then, put the new fuel pump on. The old one is kind of crimped together and marked "AC." I don't know how to take it apart and look inside. The new one has screws that allow disassembly. I'll replace the rubber pieces of fuel line and the filter at the tank. When removing the tank, gas started running out. There is a small pinhole where the brace and cushion were against the tank. Not sure if the brace was in the perfect position to keep it from really leaking before. I could see just a little grit in the tank. The strainer/sock fell apart in my hands. So, a couple of more questions:

1) I bought some Permatex fuel tank repair stuff at Autozone. It is suspose to be pressed into the pinhole and around it the outside of it. Does it really work ? Or, is there a way that I could solder or do a more professional repair ? What type of solder ?

2) I see the Corvette vendors have the strainer in their catalogs. When checking at NAPA, etc...they could not order just the strainer. Is it really available or am I in for a long wait ? Is there anything that I could substitute ?

3) Has anyone coated the inside of their tank with the stuff from Eastwood ?

4) How difficult is it to replace the entire metal fuel line from tank - pump ?
Old 09-04-2001, 04:02 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: My fuel system update (Grey Ghost)

You can buy a new tank on e-bay for 129.00 I would feel alot safer and if you have one hole you will most likey get another one
Old 09-04-2001, 04:21 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: My fuel system update (piper)

Wow ! I'll check that out. The coating alone is $40.00.

Get notified of new replies

To My fuel system update

Quick Reply: My fuel system update