C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Finished the sidepipe install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished the sidepipe install (pics)

My heat shields came in yesterday, so I could finally finish it up Man it was so friggin hot and humid today, it took all I had, just to go into my workshop to do this. I was sweatin like a pig. You can also see lots of the original red, under the moulding retainers.

I ended up trimming off that fiberglass portion of the fender you see.

Complete with moulding.

Me Likey

Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job. I love 'em.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I am real happy with the quality.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Tod
Racer

Nice work John!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a mean lookin Vette. I normally dont like that hood, but it looks really nice with the black paint.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks Great!! You did a nice job. Any chance of a small video with sound so we can hear them roar??
Roy
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Fender Pieces

Save those pieces that were trimmed off the fender. You or someone may want them at a later date. Installed my sidepipes in 1977 and threw out the pieces. Wish I had them now. Al W.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to know how you keep a black car clean on what looks like a horse ranch. I love black but the work to keep it nice has always stopped me....is there some magic you know?...

sidepipes look great, and I second the request for some sound.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

I have a BB 427 hood coming soon This hood does look good with the car black though. But it's not going to stay black.
I will be repainting the car back to the original red, because it is sooooo hard to keep clean, with 3 horses and 6 goats kicking up dust. Plus the fact the car was originally red. I was just telling my wife, I have washed the , more than I

Al...I am keeping those pieces along with the moulding mounts, I ground off Everything has been marked.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it sounds as good as it looks.
Cant beat side pipes on a midyear.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Actually considering how docile the engine is, it does sound pretty good. Can't wait to hear it with a thumping 383 stroker.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, Looks great. It looks like you have headers? Can you post a shot of each side from the top?. I have a 65 vert that is going though a 383 transplant that will use hedman headers into the original side exhaust. Thanks, Lee
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Looks great!! You will love the sweet music from those side pipes!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lee H
John, Looks great. It looks like you have headers? Can you post a shot of each side from the top?. I have a 65 vert that is going though a 383 transplant that will use hedman headers into the original side exhaust. Thanks, Lee
Thanks. Yes I thinkI have some pics at home looking down.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:11 PM
1965glengreen
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 184 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
I have a BB 427 hood coming soon This hood does look good with the car black though. But it's not going to stay black.
I will be repainting the car back to the original red, because it is sooooo hard to keep clean, with 3 horses and 6 goats kicking up dust. Plus the fact the car was originally red. I was just telling my wife, I have washed the , more than I

Al...I am keeping those pieces along with the moulding mounts, I ground off Everything has been marked.

John great looking pipes...I plan on doing the same thing to my 65 coupe this winter. Was it very difficult? Were any other parts that needed cut and why would you save those pieces? How does the ends of the pipes mount to the body? Did you buy the covers and pipes from ecklers, corv. central? Sorry so many questions, but I hope mine turn out half as nice as yours
Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lee H

Here you go Excuse my messy engine compartment.:o When I do a frame off in the next year or so, it will all be cleaned up

Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1965glengreen
John great looking pipes...I plan on doing the same thing to my 65 coupe this winter. Was it very difficult? Were any other parts that needed cut and why would you save those pieces? How does the ends of the pipes mount to the body? Did you buy the covers and pipes from ecklers, corv. central? Sorry so many questions, but I hope mine turn out half as nice as yours
Thanks a bunch.

It wasn't to difficult. I basically had to trim a little fiberglass on the fenders, because of where the pipes and heat shield make the turn under the car. It takes about 2 minutes with a die grinder and cut off wheel. I cut them flush all the way across, so that with the new moulding on, nothing hangs down. I think it gives it a little cleaner look.

I also used the same cut off wheel to cut the (6 on each side) metal tabs that hang down under the rocker mouldings. These are the screw mounts for the original under car exhaust rocker mouldings. I was careful to only cut 2 1/2" off, thus leaving enough to reweld them back on, if ever the car was put back to under car exhaust again.

The rear of the muffler attaches under the car with a welded on bracket already attached to the muffler. there is a slot in the frame that a carriage bolt goes into, and there are rubber isolator mounts between the bracket and the frame. Very simple system.

I bought the system from Volunteer Vette products. They were the cheapest ($1635 for the full kit) and they had free shipping if you order online Right now is the best time to buy, because all of the vendors are finally getting their heat shields in stock, that have been back ordered for months.

Hope this helps. I can take some more detailed pics later

Get notified of new replies

To Finished the sidepipe install (pics)

Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks a bunch.

It wasn't to difficult. I basically had to trim a little fiberglass on the fenders, because of where the pipes and heat shield make the turn under the car. It takes about 2 minutes with a die grinder and cut off wheel. I cut them flush all the way across, so that with the new moulding on, nothing hangs down. I think it gives it a little cleaner look.

I also used the same cut off wheel to cut the (6 on each side) metal tabs that hang down under the rocker mouldings. These are the screw mounts for the original under car exhaust rocker mouldings. I was careful to only cut 2 1/2" off, thus leaving enough to reweld them back on, if ever the car was put back to under car exhaust again.

The rear of the muffler attaches under the car with a welded on bracket already attached to the muffler. there is a slot in the frame that a carriage bolt goes into, and there are rubber isolator mounts between the bracket and the frame. Very simple system.

I bought the system from Volunteer Vette products. They were the cheapest ($1635 for the full kit) and they had free shipping if you order online Right now is the best time to buy, because all of the vendors are finally getting their heat shields in stock, that have been back ordered for months.

Not saying you did anything wrong or right, but for others, consider bending the side molding tabs up rather than trimming them off. In the off chance you or the next owner wants to undo it.

PS - Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of sidepipes, wouldn't have a C2 any other way . . .

Last edited by ctjackster; 07-27-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
1965glengreen
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 184 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks a bunch.

John thanks for the great answer and pics...I will have to make christmas early this year by placing my order. Thanks again...

Quick Reply: Finished the sidepipe install (pics)