C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Purchase and Installation of a new 454

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 07:18 PM
ATyson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purchase and Installation of a new 454

I pretty much have decided to go with a 454 crate. GMDirect has one complete except carb, distibutor,fuel pump ,flywheel and exhaust. It goes for 3950.00 delivered.
1- Can I use the flywheel off my old BB?
2-How about the exhaust manifolds?
3-I have chrome valve covers with the drippers, will they give enough clearance for the rockers.
4-I think I should also go with a high torque starter.
5- Any problems with my Muncie trans?
6- I have a Hi Flo Water pump long style, will it fit? Do I need it?

Any problems that I might come across?

What about startup procedure? Any help would be appreciated.

Al

Old 09-04-2001, 07:36 PM
d1_bradley
Instructor

Default Re: Purchase and Installation of a new 454 (ATyson)

Depends on what your "old BB" is. If its another 454 you're good to go. If its a 396 or 427, they are "internal" balanced engines, the flywheel and balancer are different. The exhaust will fit and the valve covers should with "double" gaskets. All of the "add ons" should bolt right up with the possible exception of the oil pan. Might want to do some serious measuring on it prior to trying the install. Instructions for the start should come with the engine. Of course you should get a "pre-lube" fixture from Summitt or someone and spin up the pressure prior to starting the first time. If this is a roller cam engine, no special instructions are needed. If its not, you need it pretty close on timing and don't let it idle for the first 20 minutes. Set the idle up to keep it at 2k rpms or more. Watch the temp and oil pressure during this first cycle for sure. Change the oil and filter after this period before you drive it. After 500 miles, change them again. One big thing to check is HOOD CLEARANCE with the "new" intake manifold, you may be forced to use the old one, depending on year and hood style. You can measure from the distributor clamp surface to the top of the air cleaner stud and see the difference, if any.

Here it is from the man..... http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/crate_eng/startup.shtml

[Modified by d1_bradley, 5:51 PM 9/4/2001]
Old 09-04-2001, 07:40 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) & (6) the GM dealer will be able to tell you for sure. I know that with the SB's you have to use a different flywheel/starter combo, and the long water pump will not fit. Not sure about the BB, but I got all my info from GM. (5) As for the Muncy, it'll handle it with no problem. :cool:
Old 09-05-2001, 09:24 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Is your car a automatic? As far as I understood the new crate motors do not have a boss for the clutch Z bar. Also no mecanical fuel pump provisions . I do not know this as a fact but I would look into this.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:48 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

al...unfortunately, i will be of absolutely no help but will watch this post with interest as i'll swap out the 427 next year with a built 454......the price you mentioned is decent..what are the specs on the heads and cam?...since i bought the tripower, i've got my own top end...do they sell shortblocks only?

..no need to respond quickly as i think you have your hands full right now

good luck

[Modified by Kid_Again, 7:49 AM 9/5/2001]
Old 09-05-2001, 09:58 AM
XKR100
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

my '67 roadster just had this done. Plus we added a little just before the install to bump up the motor on hp. Out of the crate the motor has 425 hp/500 torque now its at 500 hp/550 torque and it sounds sweet with stock exhaust manifols and sidepipes.It all fits under the stinger hood with room to spare.

:yesnod: :cool: :D :yesnod:

[Modified by yellowvette01, 8:00 AM 9/5/2001]

[Modified by yellowvette01, 8:21 AM 9/5/2001]
Old 09-05-2001, 02:44 PM
1BadRat
Advanced

The 454 has the fuel pump and z-bar bosses. It's the 502 block that doesn't have them. Don't know why they did that.

d1-bradley is correct. Use only a 454 flywheel. Try GM part# 14096987.

Should be practically a bolt-in. And as mentioned above, the oil pan could cause a few problems. There is an optional pan, PN#-10106407, but don't know if this is what you will need.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:21 PM
d1_bradley
Instructor

The 454 is based on a "replacement" engine for cars/trucks and the 502 was/is a "marine" engine. This is why the clutch and fuel pump differences.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:37 PM
67ratrag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Purchase and Installation of a new 454 (d1_bradley)

Have a 1971 Chevelle 454 (Bored .030" over, with a 1/4" Lunati stroker crank = 490 CID) in my car with open-chamber LS-6 heads, Hooker 1 7/8" headers, and a 4-speed. Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake and a holley. Believe it or not, the hood closes (BB hood) over the air cleaner. I may be able to answer some questions, but I am no guru. I have a super damper, but used a dual plate McCleod (Spelling?) clutch that came with it's own flywheel and misc. parts.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:16 PM
Bill T 65Rag
Intermediate

I have the Gen VI 454/425 HO crate motor in my 70 Chevelle SS.

I recommend you get the GM Performance Parts Catalog at your local GM dealer, then look up the motor you plan to buy. In the catalog they provide all the spec's for the engine PLUS notes on all the "special" items to buy such as the correct dist drive gear, pilot bearing ( if standard tranny ), 4 Qt. pan kit that is need for Cheveels, don't know about Vette's. The pan kit comes with EVERYTHING you need to change to the 4 qt pan.

Good luck with your "upgrade" :cheers:
Old 09-05-2001, 10:59 PM
67ratrag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevelle oilpan and pickup will not work. Just go to your friendly neighborhood Chevy dealer and they can fix you up with the correct part. I used a short Edelbrock waterpump but had to use spacers to clear the Jesel belt drive. This also necessitates moving everything else forward to match the pulley. P/S pump, alternator, A/C, lower pulley. Total pain in the ****, but if you want to do it, you have to learn to "Hot rod". I used tall aluminum chevy valve covers to clear the roller rockers and stud girdles, powder coated black, and had the inside of the covers relieved to insure clearance of the rockers while in motion. Used a smaller (8") P/B dual diaphram with an electric vacuum pump to keep vacuum to the brakes no matter what. It fits and it works.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchase and Installation of a new 454

Quick Reply: Purchase and Installation of a new 454