C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heater Core Replacement -Pit Falls?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 07:50 PM
johncr
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 1 Post

Default Heater Core Replacement -Pit Falls?

The other day I noticed a trace of coolent on my pasenger side floor mat, after some inspection I determined that my heater core has a slight leak.

I am getting ready to order a new core and gasket set but before I do is there anything else that I should repair or replace at the same time??

How big of a job is a core replacement? Looking through my reference library, it doesn't seem like too big of a deal, of course I've gotten stung with that attitude before.

The car is a coupe with a 427.

Thanks in advance.

jr

[Modified by johncr, 5:37 PM 9/4/2001]
Old 09-04-2001, 11:56 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Heater Core Replacement -Pit Falls? (johncr)

It's a lot easier if your coupe doesnt have air but it is a pain in the ****. I got a bad recore and had to do it twice. It is easier with the passenger seat removed. Careful with the Y duct behind the radio, mine was already cracked and they are expensive. The chassis service manual has all the steps listed. If you have the battery on the passenger side - your under hood work will be harder than mine.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:24 AM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Heater Core Replacement -Pit Falls? (johncr)

John
I just replaced mine as part of a firewall "restoration". One of those jobs that when you do one thing it leads to another until there is no money left on the credit card and your wife finds out what you have been doing the last few months.
Anyway, replacing the heater core was the absolute worst part of the job. Mainly because they glued the gaskets to the firewall. I could not get the inner heater box out without removing the outer box, then using a razor knife to cut the inner gasket which was reachable through the firewall opening. The inner box was so stuck to the firewall I was afraid I would break it, or the firewall itself, if I pulled too hard.
Has anyone else had this much trouble, or is there a trick?
Also, once I found a little anti-freeze on the floor and it turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the heater core inlet. Water squirted out the end of the hose right through the hole in the firewall and onto the floor. Could taht be the source of your leak?
CUL Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Core Replacement -Pit Falls?

Quick Reply: Heater Core Replacement -Pit Falls?