C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carpet suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 06:56 PM
Jim66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carpet suggestions?

I'm looking at replacing my '66 roadster's faded carpeting with some nice new stuff. I know there are a lot of companies out there selling replacement carpeting. Any suggestions and/or comments from those of you who have purchased and installed carpeting in their mid-years? Carpet quality, fit, color, price, etc.?
Old 09-05-2001, 07:51 PM
olredalert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Carpet suggestions? (Jim66)

Jim66,
As far as I know,for a 66 you really have only two choices.1:Auto Custom Carpet and 2:Al Knoch.The carpet you buy from any other supplier will more than likely be from one of those two manufacturers.From this point a whole bunch of subjectivety comes into play.There are some aspects of both that I appreciate,and some I posotively hate.Als stuff would probobly get the nod if it wasnt for the moulding of the two rear side pieces.Those two pieces in my last set were pretty much unusable.Neither manufacturer has managed to do several colors even close to correct.The three that most readily come to mind are bright blue,silver(not even close),and tan,but others are less than the best as well.In their defense I have often heard that the carpet today can not be dyied(sp)as well because of restrictions on the stuff put in the dye................Bill S
Old 09-05-2001, 09:00 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Carpet suggestions? (Jim66)

Jim, my recently departed 66 convertible got treated to new, black carpets by Al Knoch. They fit nicely, requiring minimal trimming and they looked great. Before you attempt any carpet replacement get all of your supplies together. I took the old carpet and sound deadender out and then cleaned the floor plan. Then I dry fitted the carpeting unitl I knew exactlyi how I wanted it to go in. If I had to do it over again I would pull the steering wheel to give just a bit more room. I used 3M spray adhesive and went through four cans of it. Keep a sharp razor knife handy and, if possible, have a helper around to give you that third hand when you need it. About two hours before you actually install the carpet, lay it in the sun to allow the sun to relax the carpet and make it more pliable.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet suggestions?

Quick Reply: Carpet suggestions?