C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 11:51 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (Top_Notch)

If you could get it to run around the block,
10K should come pretty easy IMHO.
A few days cleaning it up might even get you there.
Like my dad used to say when I was trying to sell a car-
"There's an foot for every seat"
Clean it up and post a pic.
The crowd's opinion will change.
:yesnod: (I am sitting on my foots right now)

[Modified by 396 RAT, 9:53 PM 9/6/2001]
Old 09-07-2001, 12:01 AM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree,
Get it out, clean it up, and make it gleem... :D
You might just rethink your intentions of selling it :eek:
Take a few pictures and post them
You have shown the car in the worst possible light...
Take it from the dealers, a little elbow grease goes a long way to lining your pocket with Green :yesnod:

After all, You fell in Love with it didn't you
You just might again :D

They are way :cool:

Good Luck

Tony

[Modified by pittsaj, 8:04 PM 9/6/2001]
Old 09-07-2001, 12:07 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Cant see the body. The OS mirror looks good though. SB car - $5k-$10k depending on whether you can get it driveable. If a buyer can take it around the block (right after you bleed the brakes) it will add a lot to the value.

It is in similar, but better condition than mine was when I got it in 87. Most of mine was in 27 large boxes, but it was a BB roadster and the factory air was in one of the boxes.

Hell (can I say that here) - if you get it to go around the block, you won't want to sell it.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:46 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (396 RAT)

Hell, I can see 5k in parts through the box's! :smash:
Rear qtr, door, hardtop, hood, dash, gauges, wheels, frame.........
HELL HELL HELL HELL HELL of a deal for someone!
Lots of folks that can turns wrenches are always looking for cars like this.
And there are fewer of them left than you may think!
Most are in pretty good shape these days.
We all know it costs tons of $ to fully restore mid yr.
But there are lots of folks that cant swing 30k - 40k
But can plunk down 10k and little by little fix it up.
It makes sense at the time......And still does to me!
I know I prefer a project over a finished product.
To me, there not much fun when there all done.
The fun is in the busted knuckles, phone calls, car swapmeets, ordering parts
and learning about the cars.
So to me, you have a great car. :yesnod:
Dont short change it! :nono:
Old 09-07-2001, 01:21 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (MasterDave)

Masterdave, Let me get this straight. 6 hours a day 6 days a week, 50 weeks a year (everyone needs a vacation) , 3 years. Thats 5600 hours. Man your slow. I`m glad I dont have you on my payroll.
Old 09-07-2001, 08:39 AM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (wombvette)

I agree with MasterDave. I could see $10K for the car questioned. Hell, I paid $8K for mine when I bought it, frame rust, new one piece front end, NOM, and crappy bumpers. Yes and I am NUTS. If some one is looking for a project, they'll buy it.

I also agree that a lot of people can't drop the $$$ for a done car in one chunk. I'm a case in point, although I've paid the price in the restification. I am WAY over $30K into mine, but as I've said before I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My thoughts...if you think you may want to tackle a project some time in the future hang on to it. It ain't eatin' anything right, other than floor space. :cool:
Old 09-07-2001, 09:36 AM
3X2-427
Pro

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (GreaseMonkey)

with descriptions like yours you won't ever have a job writing ads for Pro Team...
I bought a 65, 350 hp convert last year, 4 spd original side exhausts the owner DROVE it to Florida for me. In general, terrible condition and in need of complete restoration...he still drove it here, $7,000
Old 09-07-2001, 09:45 AM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

My project car (see my sig) is a lot less complete than yours and the price was $6500, which I felt (and still feel) was a good price for my needs .... which were basically a bodyshell and title. When searching for it, I ran across several roadsters in need of full restoration but "mostly" all the parts were there to start from. They typically were running $10k-12k asking, and I'd bet most could be had for the $10k number. I'd start with a $10k+ type price ... and add some if it has some truely rare or low production items (the tank sticker is usually good for some extra in the price).

-Greg
Old 09-07-2001, 10:50 AM
Shark01
Drifting

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (Shark01)

$6k, and you could keep the hardtop.......easy sell
Old 09-07-2001, 10:54 AM
ARed64
Racer

What a car is worth and what you can find someone to pay are two different things. I too was amazed at some of the junk for sale at Carlisle and the prices that were being asked. It looked like a farmer had dragged an old Corvette out of his field that had been stripped and was sitting there since the early 70s. I remember one project car at Carlisle was asking $10,900. In my opinion, it wasn't worth $900. Everything needed to be replaced or added, since lots of stuff was mising. All you were getting was a title.

If that car was worth $10,900, your car is worth $15K based on what you have said and the photo. I would not pay that, but then again I'm not looking for a project car.

You said the guy you bought it from paid $3,800 for it in 1978? Was it in that condition? I remember selling a '63 convertible in 1977 for $1,900 that was a good driver. I thought I was doing well since I had owned the car a couple of years and drove the heck out of it and had originally paid $1,900 for it. I think that was the market value back then for mid-years. $3,800 seems really high in 1978, even for a car in good condition. These were just used cars back then. People were not really collecting them.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:09 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (wombvette)

Wombvette, yes that indeed is a lot of hours no doubt. Keep in mind though that I did not send anything out to get done for me. With 2 exceptions, I did it all. The 2 were the final paint and the conv top, (although in retrospect I shoulda done the top myself). I did not send the frame out to get it cleaned and powder coated, I wire brushed, checked,drilled out rusted bolts, corroded battery box, power washed and painted it myself. New fuel tank, brakes,bearings, fuel/brake lines, complete new brake system, front end, rear end, engine and tranny rebuilds. I had to get books and learn how to do things I had not done before such as wiring systems, complete front end rebuilds, transmission internals, etc. This and working weekends to pay for this took almost 1.5 years to get done. Not trying to boast here, just stating facts. Anyone who does this kind of job HIMSELF has my sincere respect. My car is tight, it doesn't squeek or rattle anywhere. It runs the 1/4 mile as quick or quicker than when new. Not bad for an old timer IMHO. Than there was the body prep and I hate sanding, (I had the vette shop want to hire me to sand/prep their vettes after them learning that I did mine by hand), undercoating, interior, gauges, steering, glove box, yadda, yadda..... :yesnod:
Old 09-08-2001, 11:40 AM
kahuner
Racer

MasterDave;

This thread has changed my mind about whether or not I should take on such a project. I was considering it prior to now. The same time frame keeps coming up...2~3 years to complete! Christ, I'm not even buying "green bananas"!:lol:

It's always been a dream of mine. I would fantasize about building a car for hours as a kid in my teens. Being older now, and reality having set in, I just wouldn't have the patience for a 2~3 yr project. So I too have immense respect for those who have had the follow-thru to complete a task like that. And you went to the library to get the books! That's determination. :cheers:

[Modified by kahuner, 10:41 AM 9/8/2001]
Old 09-08-2001, 12:37 PM
MasterDave

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (kahuner)

Yes, Kahuner, it was a job for sure. I would have loved to have been just an 'assembler', you know sending parts/assy's out to get them rebuilt and then putting them together when they showed up looking like new. $$$$ Just could not afford to do it this way, woulda been more fun if I could have for sure. Economics and determination made me learn to do it myself. As a positive here, I'm more qualified and theoretically smarter now if I choose to do another one of these. I wouldn't say to you not to do one though. You just have to search yourself to find out if you would have the patience. It takes more time than one would think for sure, but there are various stages of 'rebuilding' these old vettes. All the way from basket cases to general clean up and go. Like lots of us here I've always dreamed of doing something like this. At times the dream became a nightmare :eek: , (I've repaired the holes in the garage wall and found most of the tools and parts that were tossed out into the yard)... but I'm glad I did it. Would I do it again? It would have to be the right car, I would like to do a solid axle car next. Am I nuts or what?! :crazy: Gonna have to go look at my photos of the resto again to realize the work involved, maybe that'll calm me down.... :D
Old 09-08-2001, 01:02 PM
kahuner
Racer

MasterDave;

You found most of the tools that got tossed and; you repaired the holes in the garage wall! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm howlin' ova here! In Michigan, the climate here doesn't really lend itself to garage walls that are perforated!

I only had one little episode and that was with the shock towers or brackets, or whatever they're called trying to replace the struts! I can only imagine what a full blown project would've done to me! Any particular kind of "meds" that you would recommend?

That's the other side of doing what you did, that makes me stop and think twice about a total project like yours. I am to patience what the Titanic was to marine saftey! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

I'm still howlin'!
Old 09-08-2001, 01:38 PM
MasterDave

Default Re: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth? (kahuner)

Well....this was my basic routine; Get home from work at 3:30-4:00, change clothes, go to garage, check 'to do' list and try to figure out what I can get done today. Put on the 'Oldies' tunes, turn hat backwards, sip or two on the rum 'n coke, grab tools and get under. Wife calls around this time for dinner. Huh? "It's ok hon, I'll eat later". Work, sip, swear, bang knuckles-forehead-elbow, swear, toss tool, go find tool (it's the only one that'll work) and pretty soon I think... HUNGRY! I look at the clock and it's darn near 1 a.m.!!! Holy cow, I gotta get up at 5 in the morning for work!! Upstairs, shower, slam down cold dinner, jump in bed. Hi honey, sorry I missed dinner with ya. " It's ok", she says. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that this type of job is not possible without loving wife person. Glad I gave you a good laugh. Went through lotsa different emotions doing this job, heck I think I invented one or two new ones along the way. :jester Doggone car give us so much enjoyment at times I almost think the effort was worth it. :cheers:
Old 09-08-2001, 10:55 PM
Shark01
Drifting

This has been one of the best threads ever in this section, which is usually disappointing because of the lack of response to many issues. I have tremendous respect for anyone who brings a classic Corvette back to its rightful glory, whether it be a NCRS quality restoration, an American badfoot bracket racer, or something in-between.

And I agree that it is a several year committment which will consume thousands of dollars. My tool budget alone approaches $2000. I hope to purchase a project car in the next two years. I am considering non-running cars in the $6-10k range, and running cars (but just barely) up to about $15k.

If anybody has any current leads in the $6k price area (my current project savings), please let me know

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my project '66, what's it worth?