C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fail-Safe T-stats -What's the Point?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Fail-Safe T-stats -What's the Point?

I have read recent threads on the fail-safe t-stats. People seem to like them. I looked at one today (MotoRad) and carefully read the fine print. Once they are triggered (at an unspecified temp) they are toast and have to be replaced. What is their advantage beyond a good quality Stant?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would imagine to get you home. and install another one?: I believe the person below me is correct.

Last edited by Comp Cam 1; 08-09-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:57 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
I have read recent threads on the fail-safe t-stats. People seem to like them....... What is their advantage beyond a good quality Stant?
I would guess the fact that if you experienced (the most likely) failure, it would result in full coolant flow, as rather than?, perhaps no flow?.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

A fail safe thermostat like a Robert Shaw is called so because it fails in the open position. This does not mean that if you get it to a certain temperature it will fail and then it will never reset. The fail safe thermostats require no spring pressure to hold them open the operation is that cool temperature holds it closed and as it warms up the spring releases. At least that's the way that I've come to understand them... Dave
Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I have never seen a T-stat fail. They have been stuck shut on motors that have sat for a lenght of time 1-2 years. Just my experiance.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

'What is their advantage beyond a good quality Stant?'

The only advantage I see is it gives you something to talk about on these forums. I've been around the block more than a few times and I've never seen one fail. Next time around the block? Who knows?

I think all my cars are in good mechanical shape and I believe I keep them that way. However, I do not subscribe to the "Chicken Little" preventive maintenence theory whereby you have to keep you wallet emptied making sure you haven't left anything to chance because of what "might happen".

I prefer to keep an eye on what's likely to happen.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default it does happen...

my Delco thermostat failed 'closed' last week. BIG mess...
Bill
The following users liked this post:
Earnit3 (11-11-2022)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
A fail safe thermostat like a Robert Shaw is called so because it fails in the open position. This does not mean that if you get it to a certain temperature it will fail and then it will never reset. The fail safe thermostats require no spring pressure to hold them open the operation is that cool temperature holds it closed and as it warms up the spring releases. At least that's the way that I've come to understand them... Dave
Robert Shaw tstats are not fail safe. They are balanced. Ask the manufacturer - I did.

Fail safe tstats are almost pointless on an A-C car or any other car with wide swings (30 degrees or more) in temp. I asked the (motorad) manufacturer of those too.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
A "fail safe" (from MotoRad) will indeed lock open as stated previously. Please read the following from their website:

What's in a cooling system?
MotoRad's Fail-Safe® thermostats are a major technological advance in the design, manufacturing and use of automotive thermostats. The Fail-Safe® has been developed to work the same as a conventional thermostat regulating the temperature of the engine and when an overheating occurs the Fail-Safe® protects the engine by permanently locking fully into the open position, thus allowing coolant to continue to flow from the engine to the radiator.

Here is their website for the full details:

http://www.motoradusa.com/news/20020630.html

I use Robert Shaw (now sold by Mr. Gasket, Milodon, Flow Kooler, EMP Stewart, and "maybe" Be Cool). Very accurate and balanced flow (this means they do not try to shut closed with increased flow). But I have seen nothing that says the Robert Shaw design will fail "safe". Here is the write up from Milodon (off the Summit website):

"Cooler is better.
High-flow thermostats from Milodon greatly aid the correct functioning of a high-performance cooling system. They're engineered to warm the engine to a proper operating temperature without making it run hot enough to lose power. Also, the "Balanced Sleeve" design equalizes the pressures exerted on the thermostat. This counters the undesired effect of increased flow from a high-volume water pump, which actually tends to hold a stat closed."

Here is the Mr. Gasket write up off the same website:

"High-flow temperature control.
Mr. Gasket high-performance thermostats are designed to resist large variations in coolant pressures that can occur at high rpms. Under these conditions, coolant temperature and pressure fight for control of the thermostat, keeping it from opening at its designed temperature. These balanced high-performance thermostats feature brass-and-copper construction, and open at the right temperature regardless of engine rpm."

The Be Cool thermostat does say it will fail safe, but is does not look like the same design as the "MotoRad" version. In fact it looks to be very similar to the Robert Shaw design. Here is their write up from Summit:

"Don't take chances with engine cooling.
Be Cool's high-performance thermostats provide accurate temperature control, as well as excellent coolant flow. However, perhaps their most important feature is that if they should ever fail, they will do so in the open position. That will allow you to make it to a safe location without damaging your engine."

The EMP Stewart thermostats are made by Robert Shaw (and sold by Summit), but are modified by EMP Stewart. Their write up does not say what they do differently, and says nothing about being Fail Safe. Here is their write up:

"Trust your cooling system needs to EMP Stewart Components!
These EMP Stewart custom thermostats are manufactured by Robert Shaw and modified by EMP Stewart. They feature a balanced sleeve design and are designed for high-rpm applications. These high-flow thermostats are recommended for any performance applications and work well with high-output water pumps."

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-10-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
my Delco thermostat failed 'closed' last week. BIG mess...
Bill
I had delco one fail me too last month. Less than a year old. Drove me crazy looking at other stuff till I finally boiled it on the stove. Would barely open @ 225deg. Checked a new one and it opened right on the number.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Are there any OEM's that use a "fail safe" thermostat? That is just one indicator. They have to stand the warranty.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm not entirely sold but may try one.

Get notified of new replies

To Fail-Safe T-stats -What's the Point?

Quick Reply: Fail-Safe T-stats -What's the Point?