C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 - Rebuilding Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 07:50 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C1 - Rebuilding Convertible Top

I'm rebuilding the convertible top on my '56 and intend to replace the old tack strips. I'm not sure if the new strips just "snap in" in the channels or should I glue them as well?? Does anyone have any experience at this?

Also, when the top was given to me it came in a box wit a glass jar full of nuts, bolts and various type of washers. If anyone has a diagram of how everything goes together, I would appreciate a copy.

Thanks in advance,

Pierre

'56 265/225
Old 09-08-2001, 01:47 AM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: C1 - Rebuilding Convertible Top (Pierre)

I can't answer your question directly, but I understand Al Knoch interiors offers an excellent video on how to install a top... said to be expensive but worthwhile to avoid usual amateur mistakes.
http://home.flash.net/~alknoch/
Old 09-08-2001, 05:05 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: C1 - Rebuilding Convertible Top (waynec)

I recently put a top on my 69 and replaced the tack strips...with Al Knoch's kit. Those were "press in" strips, although I glued them too. My 54 had the old "wrapped paper" tack strips. When I had a shop do that top, they actually had to "rivet" the new tack strips in, as the newer, nylon like strips would not press fit into the grooves. Does your 56 top have the wrapped paper tack strips? Chuck
Old 09-08-2001, 10:20 AM
Dave62
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the top on my 62 and used the Al Knoch kit and video. Lets put it this way...there is no way I could have put that top on without the video. It is well worth the $75 that it cost three years ago!!!Even after putting one top on I would not try to do another without the video. The top installation is very difficult to get right unless you use exactly the right steps. And to the origional question about the tack strips...yes Al recommends some contact glue to hold them in place.
Old 09-08-2001, 12:31 PM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: C1 - Rebuilding Convertible Top (Chuck Gongloff)

The tack strips currently in the car appear to be made of some sort of layers of black fiber. It's all dried up and falling apart. I do intend to get a copy of Al knoch's vedeo whan i go to Fall Carlisle next month..

Thanks Pierre
Old 09-08-2001, 04:49 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Clint Coffman 1-352-394-1311 in Clermont Fl. He is reproducing a great aftermarket frame assembly that uses a nifty tack strip. He might be just what your looking for. Probably can sell you a new tack strip. He also has a guy working for him that does a super job if installing tops. Save the Wave. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To C1 - Rebuilding Convertible Top

Quick Reply: C1 - Rebuilding Convertible Top