C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electric Chokes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Electric Chokes

I have a Holley Street Avenger 750 on my 383 stroker. It has an electric choke. Is the electric choke setting for a designated period of time and unrelated to temperature? The reason I ask is all last summer during the hotter weather the choke worked just fine. But last fall as the daytime and evening air temps went down it seemed that the choke was trying to close in response to the cooler air. Perhaps my imagination? Any ideas?

Dennis
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The electric choke uses a coil in the housing. I am not sure what type of material it is made from, but I do know it heats up and expands, and slowly opens the choke, while the engine is running.
The colder it is, the tighter it should close so to speak. You might have to adjust accordingly for weather changes. Right now it is still pretty warm here, so I have mine adjusted to where the butterfly just barely closes, when the engine is stone cold.

So I guess to answer the question: the tighter it's adjusted, the longer it will stay on, and also the colder it is the longer it "may" stay on. YMMV
Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I will have to play around with it as the season changes here. I could always hear the choke snap shut during initial start ups in the morning. It would hold the fast idle position for a few minutes until I tapped the accelerator and I was good for the day. Late last November it was about 45* one night as I drove the car to the collision shop for its new paint job. It was about a mile drive and the choke was on the whole time. Of course I did not let it warm up properly. Ran like crap back firing etc. It seems I must be close but I will back it off a bit for the cooler temps.

Last edited by Dennis Beck; 08-21-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You may need to re-adjust it if it's not opening soon enough in cooler weather. The electric choke get's most of it's heat from it's own element but ambient and engine temps also play a part. The colder it is to start with, the longer it will take for it's own heat source to open it.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:16 AM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a quote from the Edelbrock Performer Owner's Manual regarding their Electric Choke Adjustment, but it probably applies to the Holley as well:

"Periodic readjustment of the choke will be required as the temperature changes thoughout the year."
Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an electric choke from JCWhitney that I got 16-17 years ago with a temp sensing block attached to an intake manifold bolt. The electric choke ground relies on it to decrease the choke action as the intake gets warm.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Chokes

Quick Reply: Electric Chokes