C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air cleaner fabrication on '60

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 11:53 PM
Curtis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cleaner fabrication on '60

I have a Edelbrock Carb and as we know it is not the same size as the original carb on my car. It has a much bigger opening. I want to use the original air cleaner, but it won't fit. Could I possibly use a different bottom? Can someone fabricate a bottom to work? Has anyone tried to do any of this crazy stuff I am talking about?? :crazy:

Any ideas would be great,
Curt
Old 09-11-2001, 07:54 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Air cleaner fabrication on '60 (Curtis)

Curtis,

I will be trying just such a retro fit on my 59 which has a Quadrajet which I believe would have the same diam as the edelbrock.

It shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a new base using an old one suited to the larger carb.

I will be using the one that I have now but havn't even looked at what will be involved.

Without actualy seeing the stock item I would imagine the worst scenario would be to cut out the base of each air cleaner and weld or rivet in the larger orifice to the stock C-1 aircleaner but it may be easier.

I'll let you know when I look at a stock air box and if you sort it before me then maybe you could let me know.

Mark.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:52 AM
Curtis
Racer

Default Re: Air cleaner fabrication on '60 (59er)

Sounds great and yes we will have the same size diam. I don't have a stock one yet, I have to buy one. $$$$$ Of course they are expensive.

Thanks for any help,
Curt
Old 09-11-2001, 07:53 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I ended up doing a cut and piece together to adapt a MrGasket bottom to a (junk yard) 1970s Chrysler (carb opening) air cleaner base - to fit an AFB under a Corvette hood. It can be done in a day.

If you have the same (larger size) opening as a Holley, a 427 air cleaner will clear the linkage and hood, but you may have to use a lower element than stock 427. I use stock 427 elements now, since I plugged the intake manifold heat ports and discarded the plastic carburetor base heat shield.

[Modified by magicmachines, 9:41 PM 9/11/2001]
Old 09-11-2001, 09:03 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A friend of mine has a 61 and he purchased an original air cleaner. But his base was too large. He thought there was an adapter to make it fit his WCFB.
What I found out for him was the base he had was from a 62 with an AFB.
He found the correct base for his WCFB, if you are interested I will ask if he wants to sell the larger base.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:11 PM
Curtis
Racer

Default Re: Air cleaner fabrication on '60 (plaidside)

Something doesn't add up. The base on a single carb '60-'62 is the same. I am not sure what he has. I think I am stuck to fabrication of a base which would be ok I guess. He may have a '63 base, not sure. Thanks for trying to help however. I am open to any suggestions, but looks like fabrication time. :smash:

Enjoy,
Curt

Get notified of new replies

To Air cleaner fabrication on '60

Quick Reply: Air cleaner fabrication on '60