C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dual air meter FI pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
JoeG66-427
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual-Air F.I. I saw in the mid 60's

When I was racing my 66/427 in club events in the New England area in 1966/67/68 two guys from Mass we're racing a small-block Corvette with this same setup. Their names were Ken Duclose and Ken Habbler (spelling may be incorrect). They both raced a verity of Corvette's and sometimes a Corba. They often raced with the Corvettes of Ma. Club.

I think they also raced SCCA.

Joe
Old 08-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Dad's '66 427
Drifting

Received 1,555 Likes on 612 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was not familiar with the Dual Air Meter set up for the Rochester FI Units..... Learned a bit about them last Friday......

The following 3 users liked this post by Dad's '66 427:
Loren Smith (08-27-2020), Todd H. (08-24-2020), tomy62 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 02:01 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Great Video, thanks for posting it. I have seen that car run many times at Seattle International Raceway (now Pacific International Raceways) and it is still one of my favorite race cars of all time.
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 05:03 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Klaus, did you ever construct a dual air meter FI for yourself?
Old 08-24-2020, 11:45 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Hi Jim;
No I haven't but have entertained the idea for sure. I haven't had as much time since I retired!! Don't ask, I can't explain it except that I have a small farm an enough projects to last several lifetimes. Could happen though, I'm not ruling it out, would be fun.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:26 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Wes,
From what FI knowledge I have gained over the years, the primary limiting factor to the early FI units (57-65) was air intake. Adding a second air meter, theoretically, would double air flow (of course assuming the plenum could also flow the added air). I have a HEALTHY SB400 in my 56, and it is a rocket from 2000-5300rpm. By about 5500, it is falling off and at 6000 it is straining for air. There is no question in my mind that my 400/FI could benefit from a second air meter. Although, I don't really need that much more air, because I seldom push it beyond 5000. The car has a 3.08 rear and the 406 cubic inches will easily turn a 3.08 gear, even uphill out of the hole. So, from stop to 5000 and then a hard power shift to 2nd, and its gone! (but it would be nice to go up to 6500 more easily)
The person that owns the early unit told me that the fuel meter had to have some special modification done to it (in the area of the main fuel valve). Also, I have a drawing given to me by John Eyestone years ago that shows the necessary modification to be done to the two types of fuel valves for use with a dual air meter FI unit.
The person who owns the early unit that's on the SRII told me who did the fuel meter modification on his unit (forget his name). I called him about the mod to the fuel meter and he confirmed that he knew what to do-----------------but he would NOT give me ANY information about exactly what had to be done. From the drawing that John Eyestone gave me, I believe I could figure out what and how to do the mod. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, I don't have a second 62 air meter to add to my unit, so, at this time, it really doesn't matter!
As far as driveability goes, well, I don't know because I don't have any personal experience behind a dual air meter equiped car. But if set up properly, it should be just as smooth as a normal FI unit.

I mentioned earlier that if a plenum could handle the added air flow from a second air meter, there should be a noticeable increase in power output.
My plenum is already hogged out for added air flow. I have one of the early finned top plenums that was cut in half by Bill Thomas (maybe in conjunction with Hayden Proffit????), right down the middle between the center fins, severely hogged out, then welded back together. Because so much material was removed from the inside of the plenum, a 283 would probably loose some bottom end torque. But, on my 400, the added displacement seems to adequately overcome any loss.

As I understand, the 57-61 air meters flowed around 550cfm and the 327 (62-65) air meters flowed a bit more, about 600cfm. My FI unit has a 62 air meter on it, thus, theoretically, if a second 62 air meter were added, then that would be about 1200cfm!!!! So, how much engine could 1200cfm support?
I think you might be referring to Chris Wickersham. He owned a tricked out Devin SS that he vintaged race. I think Rick Mason had him do all the work on his SR-2 FI which, I believe, was a dual meter system. I drove that car extensively through the canyons of Tahoe a number of years ago. Being a 283, the power wasn't much different, as I remember it, from a standard 283 FI unit.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 08-25-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:44 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
I think you might be referring to Chris Wickersham. He owned a tricked out Devin SS that he vintaged race. I think Rick Mason had him do all the work on his SR-2 FI which, I believe, was a dual meter system. I drove that car extensively through the canyons of Tahoe a number of years ago. Being a 283, the power wasn't much different, as I remember it, from a standard 283 FI unit.
That is exactly correct. Chris Wickersham, as well as Bill Thomas, were probably among the more knowledgeable FI people for dual air meter FI setups. When I first contacted Chris years ago, he was reluctant to to provide any information. But when I was working on an existing dual air meter unit for someone anonymous (per his request), Chris was readily willing to help me get it dialed in.
Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures of that unit because the owner does not want them available to the public.I will say that I spend a LOT of time trying to sort it out and fabricate some changes which I thought would be an improvement. The owner had gone to several of the nationally known FI gurus and none of them would touch it. The owner was referred to me by one of the well know FI guys and I agreed to give it my best. I guess it's working today.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 08-25-2020 at 09:46 AM.
jerry gollnick (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:52 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Good observation, Dan. I can't imagine the 283 which could benefit from the extra air flow of a dual air meter FI. It is good eye candy though.

My '60's 283 has my home grown FI which flows 700 CFM (measured) with a single air meter and it's more than adequate.

Last edited by jim lockwood; 08-25-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by K2
Hi Jim;
No I haven't but have entertained the idea for sure. I haven't had as much time since I retired!! Don't ask, I can't explain it except that I have a small farm an enough projects to last several lifetimes. Could happen though, I'm not ruling it out, would be fun.
A common problem, Klaus.

When I hear of someone about to retire, I *always* warn them to get all their projects done first because after they retire they won't have as much free time.

Pre-retirees look at me like I have a disease. Post-retirees nod their heads knowingly.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Dad's '66 427
Drifting

Received 1,555 Likes on 612 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Larry Webb, who was in the video I posted with the Cheetah, went through the distributor for our car last Friday, as we were dealing with some timing issues..... The shop he did the work at is run by a friend of mine. When I went to pick it up, Larry was gone, but my friend was telling me about some of the other things he and Larry do work on, which includes some of these dual air meter set ups......

I enjoy hearing about those who have worked to come up with performance improvements and innovations......
Old 08-25-2020, 12:43 PM
AlHewitt
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, Larry Webb was the feature speaker in the you-tube video, what a gentleman. He is located here in the Seattle area and is renowned for his abilities. He has overhauled the FI's on both my 57 and 61. I consider it a privilege to know him, not to mention that he'll work on my equipment... Al
Old 08-25-2020, 09:11 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Good observation, Dan. I can't imagine the 283 which could benefit from the extra air flow of a dual air meter FI. It is good eye candy though.

My '60's 283 has my home grown FI which flows 700 CFM (measured) with a single air meter and it's more than adequate.
I will say one thing, Jim, that SR 2 was one hell of a lot of fun to drive. Very nimble and responsive. It had Porsche seats. Very roomy and comfortable. Rich is a very generous person and a true enthusiast. One of the nicest guys that ever visited the hobby. He is doing well in Carson City. I spoke with him the other day. He is getting a little perturbed from not receiving the new Corvette. His collection has been sold. He told me that he misses the 427 Cobra Prototype (Ken Miles Flip-Top). He had some nice iron in that collection. I also drove his Cobra "DragonSnake". That was a wild ride. It had some real cooling issues but was really quick.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:30 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

I will say one thing, Jim, that SR 2 was one hell of a lot of fun to drive. Very nimble and responsive. It had Porsche seats. Very roomy and comfortable. Rich is a very generous person and a true enthusiast. One of the nicest guys that ever visited the hobby. He is doing well in Carson City. I spoke with him the other day. He is getting a little perturbed from not receiving the new Corvette. His collection has been sold. He told me that he misses the 427 Cobra Prototype (Ken Miles Flip-Top). He had some nice iron in that collection. I also drove his Cobra "DragonSnake". That was a wild ride. It had some real cooling issues but was really quick.
I knew he was "thinning the herd" but I didn't realize he was getting rid of everything. He did tell me once that he wanted/needed to simplify life so I guess letting the rolling stock go is one aspect of that goal. I'm envious that you got to drive both the DragonSnake and the SR2!

Related to the SR2, a dim memory is telling me the current custodian has removed the dual air meter FI. Given how well sorted it was, I can't imagine why anyone would do that.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:58 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related to the SR2, a dim memory is telling me the current custodian has removed the dual air meter FI. Given how well sorted it was, I can't imagine why anyone would do that.
That is correct. The person(s) that bought Rich's SR2 did a cosmetic restoration, removed the dual air meter and installed a single air meter FI unit. I was finally able to contact the (then) current owner and inquired why the dual air meter unit was removed. I was basically told that was the way it was originally built, and I expressed that Rich had routinely vintage raced it and did very well with the dual air meter unit and that was the way the car was best recognized. Their response was NOT pleasant.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:02 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Many years ago, I contacted Rich about his dual air meter setup (because I wanted to build one for the SB400 in the 56). He explained to me about Chris Wickersham doing the fine tuning to the unit (mainly on the fuel meter side), and he sent me a lot of pictures of the unit. I can post them if anyone is interested.
Pacha's Z06 RF (08-26-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:54 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

That is correct. The person(s) that bought Rich's SR2 did a cosmetic restoration, removed the dual air meter and installed a single air meter FI unit. I was finally able to contact the (then) current owner and inquired why the dual air meter unit was removed. I was basically told that was the way it was originally built, and I expressed that Rich had routinely vintage raced it and did very well with the dual air meter unit and that was the way the car was best recognized. Their response was NOT pleasant.
People do strange things. His DragonSnake, for example, was a pretty correct car. The purchaser, from what I understand, did a major resto on the car (for reasons I cannot imagine), Rich's cars were always pristine. The guy must have as must in the resto as he did in the purchase and that was seven figures. That is hard to get your "head around".
Old 08-27-2020, 03:13 PM
B.Huey1
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Many years ago, I contacted Rich about his dual air meter setup (because I wanted to build one for the SB400 in the 56). He explained to me about Chris Wickersham doing the fine tuning to the unit (mainly on the fuel meter side), and he sent me a lot of pictures of the unit. I can post them if anyone is interested.
I'd love to see the pic's, I have a dual air meter unit I got off E-bay many years ago, which I can post pic's of in return. Feel free to PM me if you'd like at HughesLT1@yahoo.com

Get notified of new replies

To Dual air meter FI pictures

Old 08-27-2020, 04:22 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by B.Huey1
I'd love to see the pic's, I have a dual air meter unit I got off E-bay many years ago, which I can post pic's of in return. Feel free to PM me if you'd like at HughesLT1@yahoo.com
OK, here ya go.
Several years ago, when I was wanting to build a dual air meter unit for the 400 in our 56, I contacted Rich and he sent these pictures to me. This is the dual air meter unit which was on Rich Mason's SR2 when he owned it (it's been removed).

The following 3 users liked this post by DZAUTO:
Pacha's Z06 RF (08-29-2020), PattiR (08-28-2020), Vette60 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 04:37 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

A little eye candy. In the garage pic, the yellow Cobra DragonSnake can be seen down the row. Next to it, is the Crown Jewel: the 427 Cobra Prototype aka Ken Miles' "Flip Top".

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan Hampton:
Loren Smith (08-27-2020), PattiR (08-28-2020), Vette60 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:05 AM
B.Huey1
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, here ya go.
Several years ago, when I was wanting to build a dual air meter unit for the 400 in our 56, I contacted Rich and he sent these pictures to me. This is the dual air meter unit which was on Rich Mason's SR2 when he owned it (it's been removed).

Thanks for sending these Tom, nicely done, I sent you some pic's via PM mail and I'd post them here, but I can't figure out how to attach them.

Quick Reply: Dual air meter FI pictures