C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Overhaulin

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
He already did that for Chrysler-the Prowler came directly from his drawings when he was a design school student.
Wow, sweet. Now that's what I'm talking about.

But we need an industry saving vehicle. Something to strip the sales crown from the Camry.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaside63
Wow, sweet. Now that's what I'm talking about.

But we need an industry saving vehicle. Something to strip the sales crown from the Camry.
I love most of Chip Foose's work; I never knew that he had anything to do with the Prowler. I never could understand the appeal of the Prowler; frankly, I think it is one of the ugliest things to come out of Detroit in the last 20 years.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Chip Foose Fan

Hello

I remenber seeing the show ""Rides" where Chip Foose built a ragtop car from scratch for a Detroit auto show...

I think its nice of him to take someones car and make it into their dream car...I seen alot of shows the cars are nothing more than driveable "basket case"

I remenber seeing that show featuring the 1964 Corvette. This car was not in good shape and it would be considered a "basket case" in my opnion..Plus they were going to save the engine when found out the engine was "toast"...

So, I like to see the Overhauling team fix up the "old cars" and bring happiness in their lives!!!

I cant recall a show on "American Hot Rod" where Boyd C. fixes up old car for "free"???

just my .02
Old 09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it turned out great ! The body was in very bad shape. I don't think they went into much detail. But, sounds like they had to switch out the frame and some chassis parts...it must have been in pretty bad shape from the wrecks.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 AM
STING67RAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great episode, looked like they put a richmond o/d tranny in it also.
didn't care for the last minute tubbing of it though.
overall, overhaulin did a great job.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello

I think that 1957 Corvette was in "very poor condition" They had to take suspension parts off another 1957 frame...

Looked like the car was driven hard and put away very very "wet"

I think the Overhaulin team did a hell of a job on that Corvette considering it needed over 400 hrs of body work!!!!!

I thought it looked GREAT...

I love the carbs on that Corvette...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 AM
JDHall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette

I cant recall a show on "American Hot Rod" where Boyd C. fixes up old car for "free"???

just my .02

I've never seen Boyd C fix anything.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Car looked awesome in that color
Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Did anyone else notice they swapped the intake from triple dueces to a double quad setup? I wonder what happened?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Did anyone else notice they swapped the intake from triple dueces to a double quad setup? I wonder what happened?
I think they swapped the whole engine. The engine that ended up in the car was a regular small block. The Edelbrock crate engine that was shown previously had four exhaust ports spaced evenly.. maybe a gen III motor that they couldn’t fit??

Pierre
Old 09-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I got the feeling that they used the parts off the other chassis to save time and be able to send parts out to be powder coated while the car was in the paint shop. I don't recall them saying anything about the frame or suspension being in bad shape.

That was one of the better shows.

Why someone would do that to a '57 is beyond me though.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Why did the alleged spare 57 chassis appear to have a blue flame in it? Wonder if it was really a 54 chassis?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:36 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Why did the alleged spare 57 chassis appear to have a blue flame in it? Wonder if it was really a 54 chassis?
I didn't know the show was on, or, that they would be "overhaulin" a 57 Vette. My son had the show on and of course I suddenly became interested in it.
Overall, for the most part, I thought the finished version looked great. the upgrade to the brakes, tranny, tunes was nice (but I'm not doing that to my 56).
The reason for responding to the quote above is because the 57 (when "stolen") didn't have any exhaust chrome. When finished, it had 53-55 style chrome on the rear quarters. Anyone notice that??? So, I'm wondering if there was any relation between the 54 chassis and the 53-55 rear chrome, was there maybe more than just chassis parts that were transferred from another car (the show had been on about 10min before I started watching it)?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I didn't know the show was on, or, that they would be "overhaulin" a 57 Vette. My son had the show on and of course I suddenly became interested in it.
Overall, for the most part, I thought the finished version looked great. the upgrade to the brakes, tranny, tunes was nice (but I'm not doing that to my 56).
The reason for responding to the quote above is because the 57 (when "stolen") didn't have any exhaust chrome. When finished, it had 53-55 style chrome on the rear quarters. Anyone notice that??? So, I'm wondering if there was any relation between the 54 chassis and the 53-55 rear chrome, was there maybe more than just chassis parts that were transferred from another car (the show had been on about 10min before I started watching it)?
I noticed the rear end chrome was different but didn't pay attention to the differences. On the chassis, the claim was that Chip had a spare 57 chassis in the shop which they used for front suspension parts. But I do wonder what the reality of this reality tv show was with regard to that spare chassis.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that first motor was a 3x2. Then I thought I must have been mistaken when they showed the dual quad setup. I wonder if it was something to do with hood clearance. I also noticed the inline 6 in the donor chassis. I think the exhaust was just a Foose modification. He also changed the front turn signals.

I also thought they said 450 hours of body/paint work. My question is how do they get that number in 3 or 4 days of work ? 1957 really looks cool with the hardtop. Wish they would have shown that.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I liked the finished 57..BUT "what if" some owner did not...???

Maybe they always envisioned their 57 with the pro-street look??? I can't believe the owner is not aware their car is going to be overhauled....

That said, IF my 60 was overhauled and looked somewhat like that 57, I would be in heaven....

I still miss Courtney though....
Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I thought the paint and the body work looked great. I was not impressed with the lack of the license plate frame on the car. I thought my bodywork was going to be extensive this car was in about the same shape if not worse.

I did not like tubbing the rearend. Plus, not information on what they did with the brakes and driveline. I can see they did not use the stock drums and such. It would have been nice to know more about the suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To Overhaulin

Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
I also thought they said 450 hours of body/paint work. My question is how do they get that number in 3 or 4 days of work ? 1957 really looks cool with the hardtop. Wish they would have shown that.
Man hours. I thought they did a nice job on it. I assume it did not have the original engine in it. Have seen them re-build when it does.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:48 AM
hogan64
Racer

I liked the car !!

Was it me or did they media blast the crap out of that car? It looked to me like they had to repair the damage caused by the blaster. Who knows...I'm no expert...

They should have kept the Sheepskin seats

Ted
Old 09-20-2006, 11:19 AM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Compared to some of the other overhauling projects, I thought this one went great. I think his team does great work and works better together than does Boyd's. I'm not always a fan of the aesthetics of Chip's builds, but the work looks good.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that wondered what happened to the three duece set-up that they started the program with.

Re the posts in this forum about the rear chrome, I'd have to wonder if when Chip moved the exhaust pipes down lower in the tail if that didn't cause the change.

Quick Reply: Overhaulin