C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Corvette brake lines

Old 09-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 1963 Corvette brake lines

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the steel brake lines in their Corvette with the frame and body still attached is it possible?

Or. will i be opening a can of worms I dont want too?

Thanks
Pete
Old 09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The '63 front to rear brake line is retained by spring clips. At some later point - it could have been as early as '64 (see your AIM) - the clips were replaced by fully captured type retainers that wrap completely around the line and are secured to the frame with self-tapping screws.

So it should be theoretically possible to "pop out" the brake line on a '63, but if the clips dislodge from the frame, they would probably be next to impossible to get back, and they may well be rusted to the line and/or frame.

I believe some have lifted the body or dropped the frame a couple of inches to replace the line. In addition to unthreading the body to frame including radiator support to frame bolts (I would recommed leaving them in place to help keep shims from falling out), you should disconnect the brake line to the m/c brake line, pull the steering shaft clear of the coupling, and disconnect the throttle linkage. There may be other items to disconnect, and others who have done this procedure can probably say.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 09-17-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:22 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Good info on the link below"
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...65+brake+lines
Old 09-17-2006, 11:11 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

I just did it on my '63 a couple of months ago. I did not try to remove most of the old long line and clips, only what was easily accessable. I took the pre-bent line and straightened the rear bends out, and slid it along the frame from the front. when it hit the back, I don't know exactly how, but I managed to re-bend it and turn it and get it where it is supposed to be. Probably took an hour or hour and a half. What was actually worse afterward was getting the fitting at the end to the exact angle to thread it into the brass block. That took me almost as long- hard to get tools in that cramped space. I do have a hoist, I would not even have attempted this if I didn't. I will be doing it again this winter on my '66. I need the peace of mind with those single master cylinders.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Corvette brake lines

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1963 Corvette brake lines