C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bird Cage/Windshield frame repair

Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM
torose
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bird Cage/Windshield frame repair

Guess I have joined the ranks of been had. I have 64 convertible that I was taking apart to start retro rod project and the the top of bird cage around the bottom of windshield frame is rusted/ rotted through in the middle. Was trying to remove dash surround and was removing the bolts in the middle and they started spinning, looked up under dash and saw the damage behind defroster vent. Do I have to find a used lower windshield frame? Caledonia said it would be 2 years before they have bird cage. ANy ideas would beappreciated. Can post pictures tomorrow, going to cry in my beer
Old 09-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry dude.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:31 PM
valrico_stingray
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on how much of the lower frame is gone. Maybe you can weld in a patch but not usually, most are too far gone before anyone notices. Look at my photos of my bad cage and the replacement cage I found. You'll be able to see how many small pieces make up the unit and therefore how hard it would be to replace them if too much is gone.

Chuck .. www.pbase.com/valrico4
Old 09-23-2006, 11:33 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
Sorry dude.
not much more to say, heartfelt sorry from a fellow Vette-owner
Old 09-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You just have to keep your eye out for used birdcage parts. They show up on Ebay from time to time. Sometimes whole birdcages, other times only parts.

Last month I saw a whole cowl and lower birdcage that was great except the upper windshield frame part was mangled. It received not one bid.

So they are out there. It could take a while but you will find what you need.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:56 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Torose,
Sent you an email with info. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valrico you sent me scurrying out to look at my bird cage--I mistakenly thought the rust problems were just a coupe thing--tho when i bought this project car i did look under the dash and pull on the windshield--well this time i took out the glove box and dash gauge console and got a good light and mirror and am GLAD to say i have zero rust issues to work on --and yes at purchase time i looked at the kickups thanks to JRS427's suggestions--Sorry for your problems tho--Glenn
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
torose
Racer

thanks for kind words, below are few pics, one from top and one below

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...tomscar004.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...tomscar017.jpg

It looks like to total lower shield replacement, but maybe ya'll have a few other ideas. Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:49 PM
torose
Racer

Thanks Valrico for link to your site. Your BC actaully was worse than mine, so there is hope

Below are actual pics if you don't want to go to photobucket

Old 09-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by torose
thanks for kind words, below are few pics, one from top and one below

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...tomscar004.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...tomscar017.jpg

It looks like to total lower shield replacement, but maybe ya'll have a few other ideas. Thanks again!
Man, that is scary. How many guys are able to tear into a midyear to check for rusted birdcage? Can it even be seen without dash removal? That sucks big time. Scares the heck out of potential buyers to know they could end up with something like that. Sorry, for what it's worth.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 PM
hbech
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default birdcage

hey man, feel for you. i just finished mine from 6 inches up from pillar, all the way to the other side. are the pillar feet good? i just sent what was left of my lower frame to crane corvettes(for free). my feet were gone so i purchased parts from 2 donor cars. its isnt a fun job to do but it can be done. the lower frame can be used from a convertable or coupe. its all spot welded so it can come apart. if you want more info e mail me and ill get some pics, possible help. good luck hb
Old 09-25-2006, 12:44 PM
BufaloBill

Default Bird Cage repair

Try 888-245- 5224 (Caledonia Corvettes) they repair frames and sell parts for Bird cage repair

Good luck
Bufalbill
Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
torose
Racer

Thanks for all the help!

Hbech, couldn't find your email in your profile, if you could send it to me at thomasarose@yahoo.com that would be great.

1CoolC2, thanks for the email, I talked with Gale and he might have something that will work, but he is at Carlisle this week.

When I was in Carlisle, I talked with Caledonia, but they indicated that they were 2 years away from getting all bird cage parts all done. I did buy from them the rockers for bird cage with body mounts.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:02 PM
slee36
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how would a prospective buyer best evaluate the condition of the bridcage or other potential areas of rust affected structural members? I've heard of the ice pick thing, but is that really practiced? I guess a combined inquiry to the history of the car and where it has spent most of its life... Thoughts?

thanks,

Matt
Old 09-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It might be a bit impractical to get, but a borescope could be used to check a number of areas.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
reedkona
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a similar problem with a '63 coupe several years back, though I knew what I was getting into before I got the car. I got an excellent windshield surround/upper post/birdcage section from America's Finest in California. They can be kind of disorganized at times, but the part came and was good, clean and totally rust free. Got some good door shells for a '68, too, though the internals never followed as they were supposed to, despite several calls. Finally gave up on those.
You might give Mike a call there.
Reed Flickinger

Get notified of new replies

To Bird Cage/Windshield frame repair

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bird Cage/Windshield frame repair