C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Headlight open/close adjustment

Old 10-02-2006, 01:49 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 Headlight open/close adjustment

I know there are two bolts that must be screwed in or out to adjust the open and close stops of each headlight, but I have tried several times and I cannot figure out how to get a wrench on either one of them or even what size they are. My driver's side headlight closes too far and does not open far enough. What is the secret to adjusting these things? Thanks.
Dick Webb
Old 10-02-2006, 02:02 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

I know how you feel. Ok first the size should be a 7/16 inch. and it has a lockwasher you got to loosen first. The next step is PATIENCE...its one of the hardest things to do. Remember that you are working reverse to what you think. The Shop Manaul give you a really good description on how to perform this.

If you go stuck PM me and I can provide you some on-line real time help to walk you through it...
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by EBVette
I know how you feel. Ok first the size should be a 7/16 inch. and it has a lockwasher you got to loosen first. The next step is PATIENCE...its one of the hardest things to do. Remember that you are working reverse to what you think. The Shop Manaul give you a really good description on how to perform this.

If you go stuck PM me and I can provide you some on-line real time help to walk you through it...
I believe you mean the bolts have a jamnut rather than a lockwasher. As I recall, they adjust better in one position partially open also. I believe it's best to remove the motors first so you can freely rotate the buckets by hand to check on adjustment progress, as well as rotate the bucket to the position that affords you the best position to adjust the buckets. The motors slide off their mounting brackets upon removal of the retaining clip and electrical connection, as I recall. May also have a ground wire that has to be removed. And, as suggested, find a shop manual or other written procedure before proceeding!!

Old 10-02-2006, 02:09 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

I'm confused. First, thanks for the reply. My confusion is that I posted this question and then went to the forum and it never showed up. So I did a search for back threads on the subject and came up with my own question and your answer. What am I missing here?
Oh well, now it is listed twice. I guess I just didn't wait long enough. Sorry about that.

Last edited by rgwebb; 10-02-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

Thanks to both of you. I will go after the shop manual and go from there. Taking the motor off sounds like good advice. I just see no way to get any kind of a wrench in there as it stands.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Luck!!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rgwebb
Thanks to both of you. I will go after the shop manual and go from there. Taking the motor off sounds like good advice. I just see no way to get any kind of a wrench in there as it stands.
Well take heart!!! It can and is done every time anyone adjusts them!! Also, going only from memory, but you may have to go at them from the back side of the hood with the hood raised, or you may want to remove the hood to make acces easier. But I'm sure it can be done without hood or grille removal (but again, only from memory)!!

Last edited by Ron Miller; 10-02-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused. First, thanks for the reply. My confusion is that I posted this question and then went to the forum and it never showed up. So I did a search for back threads on the subject and came up with my own question and your answer. What am I missing here?
Oh well, now it is listed twice. I guess I just didn't wait long enough. Sorry about that.
Did you refersh the browser? If you submit a post and use the "back button" to go back out to the forum, your post will not be there. You either need to go out abd back into the forum or do a browser refresh.

If it's your first time, probably best to remove the hood. I could not find the adjustment. We removed the hood and motors and there it was. With the motor out, adjustment is easy as you can manually move the bucket for proper adjustment. I small mirror is also handy. As mentioned previously, the motors are simply the spring clip and ground screw.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
rgwebb
Instructor

Thanks Bruce. I suspected as much and tried a couple of times to go out and come back in with no luck. What is the process to "refresh the browser"? I'm not familiar with the term.
Dick Webb
Old 10-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Thanks Bruce. I suspected as much and tried a couple of times to go out and come back in with no luck. What is the process to "refresh the browser"? I'm not familiar with the term.
Dick Webb
The button in your browser program (usually either Firefox or Internet Explorer) that reloads the current page. As opposed to using the "back" button which only goes back to the previous edition of the page without reloading. Reloading will get you any updates to the page that have been made since your previous visit.

Clear as Mud?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 AM
rgwebb
Instructor

No, I understand. I think you're talking about the refresh button. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Dick Webb
On NetScape browser, it's the third button in from left (back, forward, refresh, home page).

On IE (Windows default browser, it's the fourth from left (back, forward, stop, refresh, home page).

In both browsers, it is the icons just below the "file menu".

If you closed the forum and went back in, you basically did a refresh.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

After you submit the post, just use the "go" button next to the "Form Jump" drop-down window at the bottom right corner of the page, and it'll take you right back to the index page. If you use the "back" button, you'll just keep cycling through old pages.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
After you submit the post, just use the "go" button next to the "Form Jump" drop-down window at the bottom right corner of the page, and it'll take you right back to the index page. If you use the "back" button, you'll just keep cycling through old pages.
Thanks John, 5+ years on the forum and I never knew that. Always used the back button.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Wow!!! JohnZ is a car engineer, I am more of a computer geek and he taught me a new trick at my game. Not sure I found his trick but after submitting a reply, the message re-displays. At the bottom of the display it shows where you are (just below the Post Reply button):

Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes

Click on the "C1 & C2 Corvettes" and it takes you back out to the forum page, all re-loaded with your posted thread at the top.

I always thought it was odd to have to "back button" several times, guess just too lazy to look for a better way.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 AM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the grille and quit messing around. A short 7/16" combo will get one of the screws then flip the headlight the other way to get the other.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM
rgwebb
Instructor

Mike, you are obviously the first one to suggest removing the grill to get at the headlight adjustments. I'm wondering why? Is the grill harder to remove than removing the hood and motor and working upside down? I t would seem to me that if you can get to those adjustments through the grill that would be the way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Headlight open/close adjustment

Old 10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Mike, you are obviously the first one to suggest removing the grill to get at the headlight adjustments. I'm wondering why? Is the grill harder to remove than removing the hood and motor and working upside down? I t would seem to me that if you can get to those adjustments through the grill that would be the way to go.
I think you'll find removing the motors will make the job MUCH easier whether or not you remove the grille, hood, or nothing at all. Not much to getting them off.

I also believe if you choose to remove anything, the hood removal is much easier than grille removal. Don't your bumper brackets run thru the grille, which requires bumper removal? Not much involved in taking the hood off. You'll have a little better access with the grille removed, however. (The best time to adjust the headlamp buckets is when the car is being put together, when grille, hood, bumpers, and headlamp motors all are yet to be installed, unfortunately)!

My thoughts . . .

Last edited by Ron Miller; 10-05-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:47 PM
soppeng
Instructor

I just recently rebuilt my motors and headlight buckets. I removed the hood, which I would think is a necessity if rebuilding the bearings, etc. on the headlight buckets. Removal and replacement of the hood is not that difficult. Since replacing the hood, I've slightly re-adjusted the bucket alignment. If you have never removed the motors, it may appear to be difficult, but once you get into it, you'll see how simple it is, with the hood on or off. Once the motors are off, adjusting the stops is simple since the buckets will free wheel back and forth.

Steve Phillips
Old 10-05-2006, 07:54 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The hood would work also. I just have my car 4-1/2 feet off the ground, so removing 10 grille screws isn't that tough! Because of the height of the car I could stand up and make my adjustments. You may have to sit on your butt to make the adjustments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 63 Headlight open/close adjustment