C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Muncie 4 Speed Gear Lube

Old 10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

in the other thread (linked) I said:

"Replenished the fluid with the non-syn gear oil. Dropped the car back down off the ramps & stands, took it out for the test drive to check on the shifts in and out of third (the problem before) and . . . still acting up though not as bad."

maybe that was a bit poorly-worded, but I sucked out whatever was in there from whomever may have changed it last (before my ownership of the car) and replenished it with the non-syn gear oil. And it still made noise going into and coming out of two gears, perhaps not quite as bad.

Later on in that linked thread I responed:

"yup, can't hurt, will give it a try. Don't know if I have seen Lucas Oil stabilizer around, but never looked for it either "

well, I should have reported back - it worked - maybe not from the moment I drove the car off the ramps, but within a gas tank the thing was quiet again, and shifts nicely.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
dmentzer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update. After reading a post on the NCRS board, I went to my local dealer and got some GM lube #89021671 which is the new number for the old #1052271. After pumping out as much fluid as I could, I replaced it with this stuff. I am now a happy camper as my shifting is back to normal. Nice and easy and good, positive shifts. I am wondering if the Valvoline oil that I had in there has some sort of friction modifiers that caused my trans to shift hard. Nevertheless, I am glad I made the change.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you just love it when something actually goes right for a change?????..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muncie 4 Speed Gear Lube