C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The garage heater is installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default The garage heater is installed

Now I think I am ready for the winter projects. Last year I used a propane heater. What a pain that was. Had to fill the tank every few days. This is a REZNOR UDAP 45,000 btu heater. We installed it with a fresh air duct for the combustion air supply. It should keep the garage at a nice temperature.
Roy
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking unit!

Much more compact than my Modine, hanging off the rear corner ceiling shown in my avatar and fed by oil heated water. Works great, but the fan is somewhat noisy--gives the garage that "industrial" ambiance.

I've had it running for 20 years now, keeping my typical (and insulated) two car garage here in Connecticut at no less than 60 degrees all year round. I'm sure in the winter months it contributes meaningfully to my oil bills, but cars have feelings, too!

What's the noise level like with your Reznor?

Last edited by Cobra66; 10-12-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A climate controlled environment makes all the difference in the fun department. I hope my days of double thermal underwear, kerosene heaters, and cold concrete floors are in the past
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Yankees have lost you will have more time to spend in the garage
Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Air in our garage this summer, go figure.
Dennis Palm Desert Ca.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:43 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

My Reznor keeps my garage nice and comfy, and I installed A/C in the garage in the summer of 2005:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1411059

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM
ahockeynut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roy,
That looks like a great setup. How do you handle the exhaust? Is it a high temp chimney, or can you use PVC exhaust (like a high efficency furnace)?
Thanks
Paul
Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ahockeynut
Roy,
That looks like a great setup. How do you handle the exhaust? Is it a high temp chimney, or can you use PVC exhaust (like a high efficiency furnace)?
Thanks
Paul
It is a double wall metal chimney that goes straight through the wall for the powered exhaust. The air intake is a single wall metal 4" duct. You can't use PVC on this one. This is not a sealed combustion unit, just takes in fresh outside air. The gas in not connected yet. Hope to have that done early next week. Had 33* here this morning.
Roy

Last edited by 67-427ci; 10-13-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 PM
ahockeynut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"It is a triple wall metal chimney that goes straight through the wall for the powered exhaust"

Does that mean you can run it out the side of the house like a gas log fireplace, or do you have to run it vertical out the roof?

I have the perfect spot in the ceiling of my garage. I could get a gas line to it, if I can do a side exhaust. I don't like the thought of cutting through my shingles.

Are all the chimney requirements with the unit?
Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:06 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ahockeynut
"It is a triple wall metal chimney that goes straight through the wall for the powered exhaust"

Does that mean you can run it out the side of the house like a gas log fireplace, or do you have to run it vertical out the roof?

I have the perfect spot in the ceiling of my garage. I could get a gas line to it, if I can do a side exhaust. I don't like the thought of cutting through my shingles.

Are all the chimney requirements with the unit?
Thanks again.
The venting requirements are with the heater. This is a link to the on-line file REZNOR UDAP Venting. I went straight through the wall with a horizontal vent cap.
Roy
Old 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Working in the warmth.

It's a weekend morning, middle of Winter. I walk the 100 feet to the barn and plug in the coffee pot, click on the radio and strip down to dungarees and a shirt. I plop down on my little creeper work seat and survey the scene. The wind blows the snow in drifts up against the big sliding door. I plan my day's events and before I know it my wife's asking when I'll be in for supper. Can't be, I just barely got started but yup I've been out here 7 hours. I can tell she has the fireplace going by that wonderful unmistakable smell.

I bundle up, grab a long neck out of the beer fridge, give a quick glance at black60 up on the Mohawk and hit the lights. The snow, waist deep in spots slows me a bit but I think as I trudge along life is good, thank you Lord.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:35 AM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Is the metal pipe going downward the flue pipe, or the fresh air inatke?
Flue gases normally don't like to run downhill.

To vent thru horizontal surfaces you normally need at LEAST Double Wall pipe, and 1" clearance from combustible surfaces. Triple wall is fine, but overkill.

Horizontal runs will not vent properly. Have at least 1/2" to 1" (per foot of flue pipe) rise on flues leaving the building. Not only will carbon monoxide likely enter the occupied space, but moisture condensing on the flue pipe walls will quickly cause rust of the flue pipe, and also run down into the heater causing damage there also.

Not pretty. Be careful if you install these yourself.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:48 AM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65nassau
Is the metal pipe going downward the flue pipe, or the fresh air inatke?
Flue gases normally don't like to run downhill.

To vent thru horizontal surfaces you normally need at LEAST Double Wall pipe, and 1" clearance from combustible surfaces. Triple wall is fine, but overkill.

Horizontal runs will not vent properly. Have at least 1/2" to 1" (per foot of flue pipe) rise on flues leaving the building. Not only will carbon monoxide likely enter the occupied space, but moisture condensing on the flue pipe walls will quickly cause rust of the flue pipe, and also run down into the heater causing damage there also.

Not pretty. Be careful if you install these yourself.
The pipe that angles down (on the right) is the fresh air intake. The powered exhaust goes out the wall behind the heater. The flue is at a slight downhill angle to let mositure run out if it accumulates.
Roy

Get notified of new replies

To The garage heater is installed

Quick Reply: The garage heater is installed