C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mid year gauge & dash cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:51 PM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Mid year gauge & dash cleaning

OK, Getting started on cleaning up the dash and gauges of my '66. I'm planning on buying new lenses for the gauges which all seem to work fine and are pretty accurate. I tried cleaning the clock lens the other night and it's not as clear as I'd like. That's why I'm going the new route.
What should I clean the actual gauge face with? Windex? 409? Should I Armour All the face? The numbers and pointers and in good shape. It's just that looking from the outside in there is a lot of dust inside the lens. I'll also change the bulbs and lube the spedo and tach cables. Any advise???
Has anyone sent out their cluster? How much did that cost? Would that be a better route?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't use Armour All on acrylic (the lenses)! It can cause "corrosion stress cracking" in ABS and acrylic (I know, what does corrosion have to do with plastics..but that is the term that our chemists used.). The cracks can appear anywhere there is any clamping or twisiting of the plastic. My experience with this is first hand, based on a significant field action while I was working for an automotive OEM.

I am sure many forum members have had good experience with Armour All, but I would not take the chance..

Soaps or cleaners that might leave some oils behind should also be suspect.

Harry
Old 10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

We've had good luck using The Wax Shop Products "Safe Cut" for polishing out plastics and lenses and I was even able to clear up the radio lens, which is very thin, in my '64.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he already decided on new lens, what he wants to learn as do I now is what should he use to clean the gauge faces.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:17 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Youre right, I gotta read a little more carefully next time!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:17 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disassembled mine myself, cleaned and replaced lenses (BTW they are glass so you can get pretty serious when cleaning them I probably needlessly replaced mine since I got the new ones thinking they were plastic then found they are glass) Anyway most of the faces can be cleaned just with light non ammonia cleaner....I used some stuff used on LCD screens it is very mild. Most of the faces can be replaced as well, which I did since some of mine were actually rusted. Needles can be replaced or repainted.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Contact Jason Oliver, a forum member who does fantastic work on vette gauges, plus a hell of a nice guy. I am sure someone will chime in with his email.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:46 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Here it is. vetteinstruments@aol.com
Old 10-13-2006, 08:40 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71
Youre right, I gotta read a little more carefully next time!
No problem, I do the same thing sometimes. I just wanted the question answered
Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 PM
JOliver
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No secrets with me ....Use PlastiX (get at any local parts store) for the Clock lens (its plastic) .
Only 63s are plastic on the clusters so if you have glass...use what ever you want to clean them.
On the gauge faces ....use a good auto wax ...I stay away from the redline on the tach as it will help take color out but won't harm the lettering/band around the face.I personally like the Meguiars products but have used everything and they all will work.
The gauge faces are painted black with a silkscreen on top ...they fade just like the body will if it never got waxed.

Need any help at all email me
Jason
VetteInstruments@aol.com
The following users liked this post:
Markartx (11-05-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Mid year gauge & dash cleaning

Quick Reply: Mid year gauge & dash cleaning