C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Rear Wheel Bearing Greaser Tool, 1963-1982

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:47 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Corvette Rear Wheel Bearing Greaser Tool, 1963-1982

Just curious to what others think of this tool sold by Ecklers Corvette Parts. Here is the link: http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1885

The reason I am asking this of other Corvette forum members is that I do own this tool. Actually it is my 2nd one. I owned one back in the early 70's and use it on a 72' Corvette Coupe I owned back then to re-grease my rear wheel bearings. I used the tool and everything seemed to go well never having any problems with that car but I ended up selling that Elkart Green Corvette Coupe in 1978 needing money to go into the automotive parts business. Anyway to make a long story as short as possible I purchased another one of those rear wheel bearing greaser tools from Ecklers a few years ago since my first one was loaned out over 30 years ago and I never got it back since then. I haven't used the new tool as of yet on any of my current Corvettes since I don't drive my collector cars as much as I did the C-2 and C-3 Corvettes I owned way back, when they were my only transportation during the 70's.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:06 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I always heard it would only lub the inside bearing.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:09 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Don't waste your time or money on it. I have been arms that it was used on and found the inner seal rolled and the new grease did not get pass the inner bearing. Now I can't say how the guy tried to use it but I have not rebuilt a set arms yet where there was "new" grease in the bearings. If properly built the arms will not need grease many thousands of miles, 80k-100k would be my guess.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:05 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The inner bearing takes the side torque and is the one that needs the lube every 25000 and when used as per GMs instructions work well.The most common bearing to fail is the inner.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:18 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you use one of those 'greaser' things you best be very careful you don't blow out the outboard seal. All too easy to do.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:40 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
If you use one of those 'greaser' things you best be very careful you don't blow out the outboard seal. All too easy to do.
At the time when I first used this same tool back during the 70's on my then 72' Coupe I remember the directions saying to only put in a table spoon of grease if I remember correctly. Back then I took my hand grease gun and took a old table spoon out and proceeded to pump grease into that spoon counting the pumps I made to somewhat equal a table spoon full. I then proceed to pump in the GM grease recommended. As I said I must of did this job maybe in 75' or early 76' and ended up selling the car in the Spring of 78' to go into business. I never experienced any problems after doing the grease job. I loaned that tool to a friend of mind who did the same job to his 67' Coupe at the time but never got the tool back. He also had no problems after doing his car. That is why I ended up picking up another one of those greaser tools a few years back but haven't used this one as of yet. I never remembered seeing anyone talk about the tool on this forum and since it came to my mind after reading a thread recently where one of the members took everything apart in the back of his C-2 to grease the rear wheel bearings I thought I would mention about this tool sold by Ecklers here on the forum to see what other members really thought about it. How about it John Z? Are you or any others familiar with this rear wheel bearing grease tool? I am curious to what your thoughts are about it.

Fred
Old 11-19-2006, 07:29 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Fred the tool works good if used every 25000 miles.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Absolutely true. They're not worth buying, and this is the reason why. Chuck
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Absolutely true. They're not worth buying, and this is the reason why. Chuck
Sorta like a hammer -some guys can use them and some guys end up with a sore thumb !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Rear Wheel Bearing Greaser Tool, 1963-1982

Quick Reply: Corvette Rear Wheel Bearing Greaser Tool, 1963-1982