C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinion 67 435 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:46 AM
AL CURTIS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Opinion 67 435 Vert

I need your opinin on a 67 435 vert for sale in PA.Price 45000 needs restoration has damage to nose and left rear at fender was repaired but work is poor.Car has nice frame no rot .It is missing the BIG BLOCK. It sounds like it is a real big block car. It has caps on the half shafts hi rpm tack 80lb oil gauge transistor ignition box front and rear s-bars.No tank sticker pop owner has old titles some old owners phone numbers. THANKS AL CURTIS
Old 11-17-2006, 11:06 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by AL CURTIS
I need your opinin on a 67 435 vert for sale in PA.Price 45000 needs restoration has damage to nose and left rear at fender was repaired but work is poor.Car has nice frame no rot .It is missing the BIG BLOCK. It sounds like it is a real big block car. It has caps on the half shafts hi rpm tack 80lb oil gauge transistor ignition box front and rear s-bars.No tank sticker pop owner has old titles some old owners phone numbers. THANKS AL CURTIS
So summing up :
No real documentation (but some potential leads)
No Big Block
Significant damage needing repair

Let's start with a fully repaired, restored, and documented 435. If of Bloomington Gold or NCRS Top Flight caliber, the car might be worth as much as $200,000.

Now let's take away the big block itself. A NOM 435 that also can be judged at the blooming Gold or Top Flight level will never be worth more than about $140,000. That means that the original engine brings about $60,000 to the value equation.

Next - lack of clear unequivacal documentation - This hits the value of the car by about $25,000 given that it is a 435. So now you are down to no more than $115,000 for a car that still has to be visually perfect (from an NCRS or Bloomington Gold perspective). This is the most you will ever capture from the car in question.

Next - you don't have ANY big block for the car. Assuming that you want to build that $115,000 car (given that the original engine and documentation will never be found). You will now need to spend about $25,000 on the correct block, heads, ignition, fuel delivery, and all the systems associated withthe 435. And those parts are likely to be un-restored.

Next - Total restoration costs for that goal of the $115,000 car are up to about $100,000 these days to achieve Top Flight or Bloomingtomn Gold. So, add 45K (base car) plus 25K (engine) plus restoration (100K) and you have 180K into a car that will never be worth more than $115K.

I'd pass on this if a 435 is what you are looking for. It might be better to spend the $100K+ for a good older restoration and/or a properly documented car.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my eye on '67 project cars for a while, and that price is in the ball park if the car is essentially complete (less motor) and in good shape. Since the car has poorly repaied body, unless the rest of the car is in excellent condition, I'd say the price is a little rich. Can you post any pictures?

Also, without any paperwork, its value as a 435 car seems a little dimished to me. Can you get copies of the old paperwork and start calling the previous owners? Maybe someone has some original docs or a lead on the original engine or ?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM
vetarun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run dude.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetarun
run dude.
I'm not saying this is a good deal, but good project cars are not cheap.

Granted this is from Pro Team, but here is a comparable car:

http://www.proteamcorvette.com/cars/312W.htm

Even if you say PT inflates values by 25%, this would be a $45k project ($60k * 75%).

(Disclaimer: I do not recommend going to Proteam for your projects, but they were the easiest place to find cars for sale. If you multiply their asking price by .75 to get over the inflation, I think the values are relatively accurate.)

Here are some other projects they have:
http://www.proteamcorvette.com/cars/326X.htm
http://www.proteamcorvette.com/cars/232X.htm

The economics of restoring a Corvette rarely work in favor of the restorer. People who undertake these projects usually upside-down on the value for at least 5 years. But most of us do it because we enjoy the process and try to do most of it ourselves.

That said, if have the means and are looking for a good value, buy a restored car. If you are looking for something to restore, then maybe take a closer look at this car and see if you can work with the seller and/or try to unearth some documentation
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 PM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I depends what you are looking for, if you are looking for a big block car and do not car about pedigree why not buy a nice S/B driver and add the big block, less money, time and agrevation. An upside is you drive the car while finding the parts you need.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Good point.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:27 PM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tentuna
I depends what you are looking for, if you are looking for a big block car and do not car about pedigree why not buy a nice S/B driver and add the big block, less money, time and agrevation. An upside is you drive the car while finding the parts you need.
Yep, this B/B thing is out of control, for most people a 427/425 will do nothing but cause underwear tracks and a S/B is just a easier to deal with for a Sunday driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion 67 435 Vert

Quick Reply: Opinion 67 435 Vert