C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 tank to fuel pump fuel line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C2 tank to fuel pump fuel line replacement

I checked the archives for this topic and I found a post by babbah in Nov of 2005. 70 hits but no responses. I dread the day that my fuel supply line from the tank to the fuel pump starts to leak. I understand that much of the line is inside the frame. What are the options? Lift the body? Can you run a new one on the outside of the frame? Replacing the line with the body on the frame is not possible as I understand it. Anybody ever had this problem?

Happy Thanksgiving Dennis
Old 11-22-2006, 12:26 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Dennis Beck]I checked the archives for this topic and I found a post by babbah in Nov of 2005. 70 hits but no responses. I dread the day that my fuel supply line from the tank to the fuel pump starts to leak. I understand that much of the line is inside the frame. What are the options? Lift the body? Can you run a new one on the outside of the frame? Replacing the line with the body on the frame is not possible as I understand it. Anybody ever had this problem?

Happy Thanksgiving Dennis[/QUOT
You can Bubba it and cobble together a fuel line outside the frame rail but to do it properly the body has to come up. The line goes through the frame rail at the rear kickup and exits at the end of the frame.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Dennis -

It can be done with the body on, but the line has to be cut in three sections. I did it on my '66, and reconnected the sections with fuel injection hose. If I were doing it today, I would take the sections to a brake shop and have them flared and connectors installed.

The gas tank outlet is connected to the metal fuel line with a short rubber hose. The metal fuel line enters the top of the frame and passes through the frame. It exits the frame near the top of the frame kickup (if you remove the right rear wheel, you'll see it), runs down the outside of the kickup, and then on top of the frame up to the engine compartment. The end of the metal fuel line is connected to the fuel pump with a short rubber hose. The second fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb is all metal - no rubber should be used here, as the gas is under pressure.

The first cut should be made just before the metal fuel line exits the frame near the top of the frame kickup. There is an opening on the bottom of the frame here where you can reconnect the fuel line. You may have to lower or even remove the trailing arm to get sufficient access (my TA was off for rebuilding when I did mine).

The second cut should be made 12 - 24 inches forward of where the kickup begins. This is the horizontal section that travels along the top of the frame. If you sit in the passenger seat, this area would be under your hip. You should look at the old line while it is still in place to identify an area where you will have the greatest room to reconnect the new fuel line.

I would suggest carefully looking at the old line while it is in place, making your cuts in the two areas where you'll have adequate room to reconnect the new line, and use the old line as a guide for cutting the new line. You'll need to remove either the right brake or backup light (can't remember which) to remove / reinstall the rearmost section of fuel line.

Be careful working around the gas, and good luck with your project.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Smith:
1960 (06-17-2021), Kenneth bass (04-11-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To C2 tank to fuel pump fuel line replacement

Quick Reply: C2 tank to fuel pump fuel line replacement