C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air Cleaner recomendations for 1960 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 AM
CrCrzy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cleaner recomendations for 1960 Corvette

I am trying to figure out what some of you have used on your C1's for an air cleaner if you are using an Edelbrock AFB Carb. I recently updated my 60 with a 350 and a Edelbrock Performer EPS intake and AFB Carb. What air cleaner will clear the carb and linkage and not hit the hood? Thanks in advanced

Jup
Old 12-04-2006, 03:05 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

Good luck. I could not get that intake to fit under the hood of our 58. I use a Edelbrock Torquer that I ran on a 302 years ago.... It was new back them. It will give you the room you need to fit under the hood.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 AM
sodfather
Intermediate

I have a torquer manifold & 1406 edlebrock carb on my 350 engine , you will need a drop base air cleaner , got mine Jegs or maybe Summit , can't remember.
Ken
Old 12-04-2006, 10:31 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Air Cleaner

I have a Edelbrock performer carb. on my '60 [with a 350 engine]
I used a Edelbrock #1221 drop base air cleaner [comes with a drop base, paper filter and a chrome top] this is the only one tht will clear the electric choke . I called Edelbrock to see if I could just buy the drop base only and they said no, comes as a whole assy. only. The paper element is 2 15/16 " high. I don't like the Edelbrock logo stamped on the chrome cover, I found a chrome cover in the Eckler's catalog, # 39074, $15.99 [they also have a more expensive one
that also doesn't have any logo on it. ]

What are you using for a PCV system? You probably have your PCV
hooked up to yor valve covers that comes with 350's. I chose to use the Corvette finned valve covers [for the 1960's look], the Edelbrock #21011 polished intake [with the oil fill tube provision , again for the 1960's look] I put a PCV on the oil fill tube. I have roller lifters so I had to use a spacer [Moroso] under the valve covers, [no problems in two seasons.] I had to provide a air intake for the PCV , that was a real big problem , I didnt want to drill holes into the finned valve covers[they are chromed] wound up drilling small holes in them for 1/4 " pipe fittings hated to do that , lost some sleep over it. By the way I went to a cruise nite and saw a '63 with chromed finned valve covers , the owner painted silver paint between the fins only, Really looked great, really emphasized them. Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 AM
71zman
Racer

I went around this tree a couple of time with my ZZ4/ Dual Quad Edelbrock set-up. I wanted more of a original look so I went with the original 1960 dual quad air cleaner. This air-cleaner base doen't fit with the edelbrock AFB's so I fabricated a new plate out of stainless stock and used 1 inch carb risers from summit to clear the attachments to the carb. See "my corvette pictures" for pictures. I like the way this looks although the engine certainly doesn't breathe as well as it should....I also agree lovesvettes - the PCV and air breather is also an important must - lots of posts on this.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:10 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a similar manifold & carb setup on my 327 in a 1960 C1.... A few regulars here suggested part # 6477 from Mr Gasket... It has a retro look like the original air cleaner on a C1...

I also purchased the thinnest K&N air cleaner I could find and I have no hood clearance issues...

I'm quite pleased with the setup....
Old 12-10-2006, 05:04 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

thanks for the responses, i will look into some of those and let you guys know what I come up with
Old 12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Getting a drop base air cleaner to clear the stock, straight throttle conenctor rod is difficult.

Buy a new throttle rod from one of the usual vendors, and either do it your self, or take it someplace that has an oxy-acetylene torch, and put a big drop in it, about an inch or drop, it take three bends to do this, a 45 degree bend about 1.5" from where it connects to the firewall arm, and then two other 45 degree bends before you get to the carb, so it is level again at the carb.

Do a mockup with a piece of coat hanger wire if you have to take it somewhere, so you know everything will clear when you get it back.

Doug
Old 12-10-2006, 07:51 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Drop base air cleaner

I have the Edelbrock carb. on mine and I didn't have to bend the accel . rod. It is straight.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Cleaner recomendations for 1960 Corvette

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner recomendations for 1960 Corvette