C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Carpet With Tool Storage Under Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Default 1963 Carpet With Tool Storage Under Seat Question

On an early '63 coupe (December 1963) with the underseat tool storage, should the carpet under the rear of the seat have a bound edge for access to pull up on the carpet for access, should it have no binding or should the storage tray not be covered at all ? The car that I am looking at has the storage compartments, the carpet is simply laid over it which gives me full access but I would assume that this floor carpet has been replaced at some point. How was it from the factory ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

The carpet for the early models with the tool box area, up to March 63 had the areas open. The carpet was cut around the tool box area. However the binding for the carpet only went half way so if you had your see back all the way you would see binding... If you pulled your seat forward you would see NO binding. The Edging or binding is the vinyl on the edge of the carpet. Does this help?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

EBvette

can you post a photo? My car too is an early Nov 1962 built car, but has the wrong carpet.

oWEN
Old 12-18-2006, 12:01 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EBVette
The carpet for the early models with the tool box area, up to March 63 had the areas open. The carpet was cut around the tool box area. However the binding for the carpet only went half way so if you had your see back all the way you would see binding... If you pulled your seat forward you would see NO binding. The Edging or binding is the vinyl on the edge of the carpet. Does this help?
Sure, I got ya', the compartment was open and the carpet was bound with vinyl around the forward opening ot the well. If you did have a photo I am sure that both Owen and I would be greatful. As a side note I mistyped the date on the car as it is a December 1962 build date. Hoping to make a deal on this car as it's late December birthdate (and my Christmas) approaches.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:48 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

I will take a photo tonight when I get home and post it for you....
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

My 63 was a December 62' car as well. When recarpeted (by previous owner, the carpet was layed over the compartment (obviously incorrect).

Dave
Old 12-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Toms-68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also restoring a 63 split and Collin knows what he is talking about. I trust his judgment and also look forward to his picture. Is Al Knock the supplier of choice???
Tom
Old 12-19-2006, 03:53 PM
misshaley
Advanced

Just received the box from Al Knoch yesterday with the carpet for my "Early" 63 convertible with a March 63 build date. I discussed with Al Knock prior re: the tool tray. I will run upstairs and take a quick look at how they did it.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

March 63 is considered early? what is considered late? My SWC is Nov 62.

Cheers,

oWEN
Old 12-19-2006, 04:17 PM
misshaley
Advanced

Here are a few pics...
Mold is "BAD"... Al Knoch is "GOOD"

Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=misshaley;1558170417]Here are a few pics...
Mold is "BAD"... Al Knoch is "GOOD"

Hey thanks, that is what I needed to see in all of it's full color glory. It is nice to see that Al Knock is reproducing the correct carpet with finished access to the underseat storage. Problem is, it's gonna make the travel cocktail kit that much more visible....
Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 PM
misshaley
Advanced

Just make sure to let Al Knoch know it is an "Early" 63 when you order. I didn't think/know to do that and thank goodness they called back to discuss it. The carpet and a host of other interior goodies arrived within a week and half. Quite impresssed! Now if I can only find the time to start pulling the seats and all the beautiful mold... yuck!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Toms-68
Instructor

Did you get the seat covers from Al Knock? If so did they match the originals? Are you going to recover the seats yourself? Did they send directions? Is it hard?
Tom
Old 12-20-2006, 12:50 PM
misshaley
Advanced

Yes, the seat covers and new foam is from Al Knoch. They are beautiful and match the originals perfectly... less the dirt, fading, and small cracks. They did not come with directions although Al Knoch has a CD with installation instructions that I ordered and is on back order, due in next week or so. I have not decided if I am going to cover them myself until I see the CD. I have recovered furniture, but this is very different and I want perfection. I have a little while to make a decision as we still have to pull the seats and refinish the frames first.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:03 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Since we are discussing your early '63 red interior here is another question. I am pretty sure that in a red interior for '63 that the steering column is red (unlike the later model C2's that are black in a red interior) but what about the collar that secures the visible bottom of the column and attaches at the lower opening of the instrument cluster. Red or black ?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:51 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

the complete column is red, but the collar that goes around the guage cluster is the semi gloss black.

oWEN
Old 12-24-2006, 02:33 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Trying to make the deal in the final hours....

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
the complete column is red, but the collar that goes around the guage cluster is the semi gloss black.

oWEN
Thanks Owen, I am trying to make a deal to get this car TODAY as it is the car's birthdate (December 24,1962). This coupe deserves a better birthday with me than being stuck inside of a lonely warehouse. Oops, gotta go buy a bithday cake and wait for a phone call...

Merry Christmas to all on this site, you guys have been a great help in my quest and a terrific source of entertainment !
Old 12-25-2006, 03:49 AM
Rob Musquetier
Racer

Note: The area under the seats was originally intended for power seat equipment not for storage (I've seen some copies of original AIM sheets describing this setup)...

greetings,
Rob.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Carpet With Tool Storage Under Seat Question

Quick Reply: 1963 Carpet With Tool Storage Under Seat Question