C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Another VIN stamping question (Engine & Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 03:32 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Another VIN stamping question (Engine & Transmission)

When St. Louis stamped the VIN numbers on the block did they use the same die and "gang" (can't remember what they called the thing holding the dies) for stamping of the transmission?

My transmission has the VIN stamping and it matches to the car's VIN. I've had my 66 for 23 yrs and now want to correltate all the stampings.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
daddyboats
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stamping

John: I have a 66 coupe also, Feb 15th build. Couldn't find anything in my NCRS tech & Judging guide, but did find something that might help in the Corvette Black Book.

The book describes the engine numbering process "by a worker using a tool containing the complete number. It states the worker has several number sets to select from and constantly changes sets as engines move by on an assembly line." They just don't mention what they specifically used on the transmission. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Dave

Last edited by daddyboats; 01-07-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefishn
When St. Louis stamped the VIN numbers on the block did they use the same die and "gang" (can't remember what they called the thing holding the dies) for stamping of the transmission?Thanks,
John
The same operator did it, but used two different gang-stamp holders; the one for the transmission had an "S" inbetween the first "year" character and the six VIN digits, and the one used on the engine did not. Photo below of the St. Louis VIN gang-stamp holder, on the line; you can see the assortment of individual dies in the bin, and the spring clip that retains them in the holder.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Another VIN stamping question (Engine & Transmission)

Quick Reply: Another VIN stamping question (Engine & Transmission)