C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installed LED's tail lights on my 1960

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LED's

Strarplus--Glad you are happy with them. John from Ventura- ,I am from New Jersey , you and I met at the SACC convention last year in Truckee, just wanted to say thanks for your California hospitality, I am glad I went. Met a lot of nice people, Jim Lundal, Jeff R., Bob Brown just to name a few. I didnt bring my car to Calif. but went on the road trip. We were never in Lake Tahoe,Squaw Valley,Reno,[HOT AUGUST NITES]Yosemite, just loved it. We stayed at a camp ground near Truckee, and on the corners of the campground roads there were poles that were about 14 feet high, couldnt figure out why they were that high , when I got home I saw a History Channel program about snow on high elevation roads and how the DOT takes care of it, then I remembered the high poles [markers] in the campground. I can't even imagine the snow depth in the Donner Pass area right now. Glad some guys are trying the LED's., less strain on the old wiring systems. Pass the info. on to other members, there is no such thing as being too safe..
Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I put the RLX3's in my 62 and they are definitely brighter looking and crisp. I got an electronic flasher from Advance Auto ($7.95).
Great mod. I also have HID low beams in Hella headlamps,which are also really neat and have gotten much cheaper. ($235).
Thanks Lovevettes for your post.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Hella HID lights

Originally Posted by david srour
Hey I put the RLX3's in my 62 and they are definitely brighter looking and crisp. I got an electronic flasher from Advance Auto ($7.95).
Great mod. I also have HID low beams in Hella headlamps,which are also really neat and have gotten much cheaper. ($235).
Thanks Lovevettes for your post.
David, did you have to do anything to the headlight wiring before you installed the HID's, because I thought that they used more power and that the standard wiring couldn't take it?? What was the part# of the lights?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:45 AM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I used H4 6000k bulbs (low beams) in Hella housings that Corvette Central sells.
HIDs draw less power than conventional bulb, so no need to beef up wiring.
They work great!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I just ordered a pair for my 60.

I had friends following me the other night in their Corvettes, and they commented on how hard the tail lights were to see. My wife was following in our pickup, and she could see them fine. The angle you are looking at the C1 tail lights makes a lot of difference.

Thanks for the info on where to get brighter light bulbs.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

One thing I just noticed is the electronic flasher interferes w/ FM radio reception on my Vintage Autoradio Wonderbar repro (which works great BTW)http://www.vintageautoradio.com/page...adiosindex.php Guess I'll need a noise supressor.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
RickSnow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could find that LED conversion link...it would be really helpful....thanks.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have LED tail lights on my '61.

The main reason I have them is that they give the guy behind you an extra few feet to stop when you hit the brakes. They light up enough faster to make a difference even at just 30 mph. An extra 5' can mean the difference between being rear ended or not.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 AM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually the radio noise seems to be coming from the LED bulbs themselves, rather than the flasher.I get noise w/ brake lights and tail lights on a weak FM station.I woldnt have thought an LED would cause any radio frequency interference. Any ideas?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The LED's definitely give off RF. I took one of the bulbs and hooked to battery and it caused interference on a portable FM radio. Not sure if its peculiar to the 3watt LED.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:35 PM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default LED Bulbs

Originally Posted by lovevettes
In case anybody is interested , I bought really bright LED's for my taillights on my '60. The outside of the car looks all original except
when I lift up the hood. It is a driver and during the summer I drive it home after a cruise in the dark, I wanted to have tail lights that were safer, so I bought # 1157-RLX3 , red in color, [uses three watts] LED's from www.superbrightleds.com
They are about twice as bright as the original bulbs, exactly as I wanted, but they were pricey, about $25. per., but nothing but the best for the vette I figured. Very satisfied. But everything went down hill from here, I ordered the same bulbs but amber in color for the front
turn signal / parking lights, because I liked the rear bulbs so much, BAD MOVE, the front bulb socket is deeper , the bulb sits in real deep for the clearance for the glass cover, I could'nt get the bulbs in[to twist and lock in] I even tried to file the alum. cover with a radius, because I liked the rear ones so much, still N.G. still didnt work, wasted my $$$$ . I bought a electronic flasher at Advance Auto. Parts last year
which is needed for the low current draw. Thought I'd pass this along so that someone else doesn't make same mistake. Works great for the rear, N.G. for the front! I put relays on for the headlights ,last year, that really helped.
I bought front and rear scockets and bulbs and the LED flasher from Rodworx. Easy to install on my "62" works great and are really bright. Hope i posted correctly, my first time.

Quick Reply: Installed LED's tail lights on my 1960