C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installed LED's tail lights on my 1960

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:03 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installed LED's tail lights on my 1960

In case anybody is interested , I bought really bright LED's for my taillights on my '60. The outside of the car looks all original except
when I lift up the hood. It is a driver and during the summer I drive it home after a cruise in the dark, I wanted to have tail lights that were safer, so I bought # 1157-RLX3 , red in color, [uses three watts] LED's from www.superbrightleds.com
They are about twice as bright as the original bulbs, exactly as I wanted, but they were pricey, about $25. per., but nothing but the best for the vette I figured. Very satisfied. But everything went down hill from here, I ordered the same bulbs but amber in color for the front
turn signal / parking lights, because I liked the rear bulbs so much, BAD MOVE, the front bulb socket is deeper , the bulb sits in real deep for the clearance for the glass cover, I could'nt get the bulbs in[to twist and lock in] I even tried to file the alum. cover with a radius, because I liked the rear ones so much, still N.G. still didnt work, wasted my $$$$ . I bought a electronic flasher at Advance Auto. Parts last year
which is needed for the low current draw. Thought I'd pass this along so that someone else doesn't make same mistake. Works great for the rear, N.G. for the front! I put relays on for the headlights ,last year, that really helped.
The following users liked this post:
R713k228 (03-25-2024)
Old 01-27-2007, 05:08 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting! I'm not quite sure how you handled your flasher. Do you have seperate flashers ... one for the front blinkers and another for the rear low current LED lights?
Thanks, John
Old 01-27-2007, 05:47 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by lovevettes
In case anybody is interested , I bought really bright LED's for my taillights on my '60. The outside of the car looks all original except
when I lift up the hood. It is a driver and during the summer I drive it home after a cruise in the dark, I wanted to have tail lights that were safer, so I bought # 1157-RLX3 , red in color, [uses three watts] LED's from www.superbrightleds.com
They are about twice as bright as the original bulbs, exactly as I wanted, but they were pricey, about $25. per., but nothing but the best for the vette I figured. Very satisfied. But everything went down hill from here, I ordered the same bulbs but amber in color for the front
turn signal / parking lights, because I liked the rear bulbs so much, BAD MOVE, the front bulb socket is deeper , the bulb sits in real deep for the clearance for the glass cover, I could'nt get the bulbs in[to twist and lock in] I even tried to file the alum. cover with a radius, because I liked the rear ones so much, still N.G. still didnt work, wasted my $$$$ . I bought a electronic flasher at Advance Auto. Parts last year
which is needed for the low current draw. Thought I'd pass this along so that someone else doesn't make same mistake. Works great for the rear, N.G. for the front! I put relays on for the headlights ,last year, that really helped.
thanks for the find..... I will do the same for my 60....thanks, Herb
Old 01-27-2007, 06:44 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Default LED bulbs

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura
Interesting! I'm not quite sure how you handled your flasher. Do you have seperate flashers ... one for the front blinkers and another for the rear low current LED lights?
Thanks, John
John, I took the original flasher out, and put a electronic flasher in its place, thats all that has to be done there, and thats all that has to be done for any older car or truck. I'm guessing but I guess the older type of flasher works on heat[heat trips the switch, and if you hook up a trailer to your circuit the increased amp draw triggers the flasher faster or sooner] The electronic flasher doesn't work by heat.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:36 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I like the idea of the LEDs.

The original lights are real wimpy, especially if you are in traffic they won't get noticed well.

Doug
Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Info.. I was thinking of doing the same as the lights are pretty bad in the back. The relay for the headlights is the way to go..

Interesting on the front parking /indicator lights. but then again, they are not as important as the rears.. Whenever I am driving at night and I turn and look at them, they seem REAL DIM.. I will pick up a set.
Thanks again for the info....
Old 01-27-2007, 10:59 PM
vinnyv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does this look when you step on the brake with the headlights on? Also.. How about Brake on, headlights on turn signal on? (Really sounds great just need to know what to expect)
Did you leave the inside (white glass) lenses in place or did you remove them?
Do you know the manufacturer and part # of the flasher (Don't have Advance Auto near me. Would like to order somewhere on line)
Thanks,
Vinny
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
lovevettes
Racer

Originally Posted by vinnyv
How does this look when you step on the brake with the headlights on? Also.. How about Brake on, headlights on turn signal on? (Really sounds great just need to know what to expect)
Did you leave the inside (white glass) lenses in place or did you remove them?
Do you know the manufacturer and part # of the flasher (Don't have Advance Auto near me. Would like to order somewhere on line)
Thanks,
Vinny
Vinny, The el. flasher is a Tridon [made by Trico] # EL 12 [ 2-terminal]

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochur...ocation_id=123

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochur...cation_id=3767

I put the inside clear glass , plus gasket back on , the brake lights are twice as bright , will be able to see the turn signal way back, much much safer.

Last edited by lovevettes; 01-28-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:44 PM
TEP061
Pro

All the lights are LED in my car including the dash lights. Try not to match the led color to the lens, it will actually make it a bit dimmer than if you go with clear. I have to find the link to the LED source that i used but they had LEDs for all the bulbs in my 61 including the front. They crossed refrenced the original to their style. They work great. I love bright dash lights.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I take it the LED tail lamps don't draw enuf amps to work the thermo-mechanical flasher?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 PM
vinnyv
Advanced

Thank you for the info,
Vinny
Old 01-29-2007, 01:05 AM
dazvet
Racer

Okay, I'm in, ordered my led's and will be picking up the flasher this week. Thanks for the great info.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 AM
fredetl
Intermediate

TEP061, please post the information on the source for the LEDs you found to replace all your bulbs. I have used LEDs in the tail lamps of my T-bird but have not seen any to replace dash lights.
Thanks in advance.
Fred
Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM
wm
Advanced

I checked the web site you quoted and it says that the LED bulbs are not as bright as the original. Here's a quote from their web site:

Brightness of LED Car Bulbs
LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them.
They are generally not as bright but some of them with large numbers of LEDs, will appear brighter than filament bulbs.
As an exception, our new 3 Watt Luxeon LED car bulbs are as bright or brighter than most standard filament car bulbs.
The light is distributed differently so they can appear brighter in some applications and not as bright in others, it depends on the size and shape of the bulb housing and reflector.
Most LED bulbs emit light like a flashlight, all out the end. Regular filament bulbs emit light from the end and all sides, so they will be better suited for some lighting applications than LED bulbs.
This is the same reason why we do not rate LED car bulbs in lumens or watts, they would be a deceptively low numbers because the light is measured from all sides and the end on standard filament bulbs but only from the end on LED bulbs.

Also, it says to buy the same color as your lens. I thought it was the opposite too. It says the red lens lets red color through and blocks other colors. White bulbs have very little red light in them and will be dimmer. This information is from "superbrightleds.com".

I agree they are worth the money if they are brighter.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Default Led's

Wayne , thats why I bought the Luxeon bulb 1157-RLX3 , it is brighter . ED
Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread...

when using them for dash lights, does the dimmer work?

Harry

Get notified of new replies

To Installed LED's tail lights on my 1960

Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 60 rear led lights

Originally Posted by lovevettes
Curious, why did you go with red vs white, wouldn't the white be brighter? Also, other than changing bulbs do you have to change the flasher for them to work?

Last edited by stratplus; 02-01-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Installed LED's tail lights on my 1960

Thanks for the tip. I just installed the superbright 1157-RLX3 and the EL 12 flasher on my 60. It is much brighter and more noticable with the brakes and directional, and it has a faster on and off with the directional light.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 AM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

LEDS are approximately 1/4 second faster on than incandescent bulbs. At 60 MPH this means that the person behind you will see them quicker and be able to stop 20 feet sooner!

Quick Reply: Installed LED's tail lights on my 1960