C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Would Like Advice On 66 Sb Side Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 PM
chub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would Like Advice On 66 Sb Side Pipes

I Have Read The Archives But Would Like Advice On Adding Side Pipes On My 66 327 350hp Original Set Up. I Would Prefer Also To Hear From Anyone Who Has The Same Setup And Added Side Pipes.

Thanks,
Chub
Old 01-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chub
I Have Read The Archives But Would Like Advice On Adding Side Pipes On My 66 327 350hp Original Set Up. I Would Prefer Also To Hear From Anyone Who Has The Same Setup And Added Side Pipes.

Thanks,
Chub
I'm in the process of doing that conversion on my 65 Coupe. Most of the Corvette vendors have "kits" that include all of the parts to do the swap. You will also need to get a rear filler panel. I bought one from Corvette Image, it does not fit that great. I bought side pipes from Allens, and I'm having fitment issues with them as well.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My advice would be, dont do it, but im an old fuddy and dont like the noise. Yes, noise. The under car pipes are much more mellow, and I can drive to the beach and still hear when I get there.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:52 PM
6Coupe6
Heel & Toe

I have a big block with side pipes and love them. Wanted to comment that I had similiar issues with my Allen pipes not fitting properly. I was forced to have a pie shaped section of each pipe cut out and rewelded to fit properly. I would not recommend their side pipes after my experience. I spoke with them at several shows and they felt I wasn't lining pipes up on donuts correctly.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dicecal
I'm in the process of doing that conversion on my 65 Coupe. Most of the Corvette vendors have "kits" that include all of the parts to do the swap. You will also need to get a rear filler panel. I bought one from Corvette Image, it does not fit that great. I bought side pipes from Allens, and I'm having fitment issues with them as well.
Thanks for responding Dicecal. That is also my concern. I am not looking for the loudest, since mine is a vert but I really liked the original sound.

Chub
Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by wombvette
My advice would be, dont do it, but im an old fuddy and dont like the noise. Yes, noise. The under car pipes are much more mellow, and I can drive to the beach and still hear when I get there.
I hea you Wombvette, but I am from that era ...I use to sell them when they were new and I like the sound.

Chub
Old 01-28-2007, 08:02 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6Coupe6
I have a big block with side pipes and love them. Wanted to comment that I had similiar issues with my Allen pipes not fitting properly. I was forced to have a pie shaped section of each pipe cut out and rewelded to fit properly. I would not recommend their side pipes after my experience. I spoke with them at several shows and they felt I wasn't lining pipes up on donuts correctly.
Thanks 6, I am concerned about the fit also.

Chub
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Also, there is a shortage of side exhaust covers. Just about everyone is out of stock on them. I would try the sweet thunder pipes. They make pipes with 2 1/4 inch baffles which should not choke your motor. I bought Allens pipes that have 2 1/4 baffles, but they are totaly out of rig on both sides. He has some manfacturing issues, that he is not addressing.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Nikko
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question on the sound vs. the Horsepower - does a 327 / 300 sound different then a 327 / 350? Looking at adding pipes to a 300 hp, but I want to make sure the sound is gonna be right. Thanks - Nick
Old 01-28-2007, 11:50 PM
North of 40
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Side Exhaust addition

I did the conversion this past summer and love them.

Easier to do than I thought and the sound is pure heaven to me although not everyone agrees. My wife finds them annoying which makes me really like them even more.

My car has the same set up as yours. 327 350hp

I collected a lot of information regarding installation. If you want, email me and I will forward it to you.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:42 AM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my allens purchased about 5 months ago bolted right up.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 AM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by North of 40
I did the conversion this past summer and love them.

Easier to do than I thought and the sound is pure heaven to me although not everyone agrees. My wife finds them annoying which makes me really like them even more.

My car has the same set up as yours. 327 350hp

I collected a lot of information regarding installation. If you want, email me and I will forward it to you.
Thanks North,
I will pm you.
Chub
Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 AM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by panchop
my allens purchased about 5 months ago bolted right up.
Thanks Panchop.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 AM
L79vette66
Instructor

I been running Allen's for over a year. No issues. Sound GREAT.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I installed the Allens and had to adjust them to get them to fit to my liking but it was not a big deal. To adjust how they sit you may need to bend the rear tab to get the rear right. The front only requires you to install them loosely and adjust as necessary. I will agree with the statements that the jigs they use could be a little bit off none the less. I have always thought since my car is not perfect it was my car not the pipes. My drivers side pipe could be about 1" shorter from the motor to the side of the car. Dave
Old 01-29-2007, 06:31 AM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
I installed the Allens and had to adjust them to get them to fit to my liking but it was not a big deal. To adjust how they sit you may need to bend the rear tab to get the rear right. The front only requires you to install them loosely and adjust as necessary. I will agree with the statements that the jigs they use could be a little bit off none the less. I have always thought since my car is not perfect it was my car not the pipes. My drivers side pipe could be about 1" shorter from the motor to the side of the car. Dave
Thanks Dave,
Mine is not perfect either, just perfect for me.

Chub
Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 AM
66 big block
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

I hea you Wombvette, but I am from that era ...I use to sell them when they were new and I like the sound.

Chub
at allens exhaust web site they now have gm type pipes with right size baffles Iam thinking of these for my 427 I would hope they sound like gm
Old 01-29-2007, 11:37 AM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66 big block
at allens exhaust web site they now have gm type pipes with right size baffles Iam thinking of these for my 427 I would hope they sound like gm
66, I saw that also but I really would like to find a vendor who has a product that fits without having to jury rig.

Chub
Old 01-29-2007, 11:42 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Thanks,
Chub
You want advice, eh? I'll give you a little. I remember seeing just a few sidepipes on new '65-'67 Corvettes in one of the bigger corvette markets in the country back then. In 1972, I added sidepipes to my newly purchased '65 Coupe. There were none around to look at for a reference. Nobody I knew had one. I liked them okay. A little noisy but that didn't bother me. Would I do it again? No way. It's not the noise. Everybody seems to have them. Like KO's. Never saw but a couple of them when new.

I wouldn't hack up an original body now to put them on if somebody GAVE ME the pipes and covers. If I ever replace them, it will be with a set of under car pipes. Fortunately, I saved everything I took off to put the sidepipes on.

Get notified of new replies

To Would Like Advice On 66 Sb Side Pipes

Quick Reply: Would Like Advice On 66 Sb Side Pipes