C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Has anyone used a SRlll tube frame for their C1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 PM
smiley-ro
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used a SRlll tube frame for their C1

I am looking at a SRlll Frame to put under my 62. The frame looks totally ausum. I have been told that with the C4 suspension it is a real preformer. Does anyone know enough to compare it to a Paul Newman setup. The frame I have is mint, and I don't want to cut up a good frame. Considering the cost of the SRlll (without suspension) $5500 and Newman @ $7000, Plus the value of my original frame, if I sold it. The real cost of the Newman set up would be about $ 4000 plus more than the SRlll. What do you think?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am using an SRIII frame under a C2. Very nice product and Mike Stockdale is just great to work with. John McGraw has built a C1 and is almost complete with a C2 that are both based on SRIII frames.

I'm sure he will jump in and give you the skinny with a link to his photo collection
Old 03-02-2007, 09:48 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smiley-ro
I am looking at a SRlll Frame to put under my 62. The frame looks totally ausum. I have been told that with the C4 suspension it is a real preformer. Does anyone know enough to compare it to a Paul Newman setup. The frame I have is mint, and I don't want to cut up a good frame. Considering the cost of the SRlll (without suspension) $5500 and Newman @ $7000, Plus the value of my original frame, if I sold it. The real cost of the Newman set up would be about $ 4000 plus more than the SRlll. What do you think?
Here is a question,
Why do you have to use an expensive frame to put newer suspension on? Won't a S-10 or small Blazer frame do?
I would like to do the same as you, but I don't want to sedn my retirement. Know what I mean?
Thanks George
Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

That is pretty much my take on it as well! I looked at Newman several years ago when I was doing my first car, but the economics told me that this was not the way to go. You not only have the value of your frame that you can sell, but you also have to factor in the shipping of you frame to him as well. You also end up with an X crossmember frame that is a pain to change the trans out on.

I have built 2 SRIII chassis, and their frames are top notch. Billy Dawson at Corvette Correction also builds a real nice chassis that is about the same price as SRIII's frame. Billy's frame sits up flush behind the rockers, while SRIII's deepely triangualted frame has the lower tube hanging slightly below the rocker. This gives slightly less ground clearance, but gives an incredibly stiff frame. Billy's frames also require less fabrication around the bumper brackets. The SRIII C1 chassis used to come with no brackets for the bumpers, you had to weld you own on. Mike may have changed and may now be installing brackets, so you may want to ask him. You could not go wrong with a frame from either Mike or Billy, they both build a great product, and are both great guys who will treat you right. The SRIII frame is a little more high-tech, but Billy's is probably a little easier to build.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=339303

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 03-02-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:44 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an SRIII chassis under my 60. The car handles like it's on rails. And I'm not running big fat tires. The frame is super stiff. I would do it again. I also like Billy Dawson's chassis. Theres alot more room for exhaust and easier to run all your fuel and brake lines on the Dawson frame.[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone used a SRlll tube frame for their C1

Quick Reply: Has anyone used a SRlll tube frame for their C1