Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Dicecal
CF Senior Member

Default Alternator bracket for headers...

Anyone know where I could find a quality alternater bracket for use with headers? I need one for a 65, passenger side with a small block. I'm going with the hedman headers, but their brackets look pretty cheap. I've had similar brackets before that always cracked. Thanks!
2010 ZR1 #1072 of 1577, Black/Cashmere 3ZR, Painted Wheels (1 of 9 Black/Cashmere & 1 of 1 Black/Cashmere/Painted wheels for 2010 MY). 1965 Coupe, Nassau Blue/Blue, 327-350HP, Close ratio 4 speed, 3:70s and side pipes!

Dicecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
knight37128
CF Senior Member

Something like this?

Click the image to open in full size.

There are many choices....................

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294840116
knight37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
cookie_monster
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicecal View Post
Anyone know where I could find a quality alternater bracket for use with headers? I need one for a 65, passenger side with a small block. I'm going with the hedman headers, but their brackets look pretty cheap. I've had similar brackets before that always cracked. Thanks!
Hedman part # 20020 is the thickest one I've seen. There are twice the thickness of the cheap chrome ones that all speed shops carries. Black paint is poor though.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
cookie_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
Dicecal
CF Senior Member

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
r66stingray
CF Senior Member

I went the other direction. I took a set of headers off a '66 small block l-79 and found myself looking for the correct bracket to use in conjuntion with a set of stock exhaust manifolds. I removed an aftermarket alternator bracket with a part number 3951337 with the headers, which is a heavy metal bracket. It seems this part number is common for '72-'82 corvettes. After putting everything back together with the correct bracket the alternator which is not original, fit perfectly and needed no change in even the belt size. I suspect the bracket would work in your instance if the '65 are close to the '66. Not chrome, not polished but pretty heavy duty. If you would like a picture let me know.

Steve
r66stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
AZDoug
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
Hedman part # 20020 is the thickest one I've seen. There are twice the thickness of the cheap chrome ones that all speed shops carries. Black paint is poor though.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
That looks like the same bracket that I have and it has worked for almost 30 years.

It can be beefed up with a few triangular gussets and a welder, also, it you want it more rigid.

Doug
AZDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
aworks
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r66stingray View Post
I went the other direction. I took a set of headers off a '66 small block l-79 and found myself looking for the correct bracket to use in conjuntion with a set of stock exhaust manifolds. I removed an aftermarket alternator bracket with a part number 3951337 with the headers, which is a heavy metal bracket. It seems this part number is common for '72-'82 corvettes. After putting everything back together with the correct bracket the alternator which is not original, fit perfectly and needed no change in even the belt size. I suspect the bracket would work in your instance if the '65 are close to the '66. Not chrome, not polished but pretty heavy duty. If you would like a picture let me know.

Steve
Yes this 74 vette bracket works perfect. But only if you have later heads with assy. holes.
aworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
wmf62
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07
Support Corvetteforum!

i guess i'm still a cheerleader for Alan Grove. call and ask Greg what they have.
Bill
wmf62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Dicecal
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmf62 View Post
i guess i'm still a cheerleader for Alan Grove. call and ask Greg what they have.
Bill
Thanks, found his web site.

Last edited by Dicecal; 03-09-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
cookie_monster
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
That looks like the same bracket that I have and it has worked for almost 30 years.

It can be beefed up with a few triangular gussets and a welder, also, it you want it more rigid.

Doug
Hey Doug,
You're a genius . Why didn't Hedman or Hooker think of your triangular gusset idea?
If anyone knows of a source for a "heavy duty" stainless steel bracket, please holler. I realize I can have one made, but I'm sure it will be too costly.
cookie_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Alternator bracket for headers...