C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1959 Frost Blue restoration. (Pics added at it continues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
The Shredder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, I look forward to meeting you at the AutoFair in April! Please give me your contact informationso we can be sure to hook up. My email is j@schrader.net

Then, I'd like to meet up at your shop to see the restoration project in progress. I need to get pointers as this is my first Corvette restoration.

I don't know if the coves were Frost Blue, but they were definitely a shade of blue. Can you comment on the access blue color for 1959?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Shredder
Mark, I look forward to meeting you at the AutoFair in April! Please give me your contact informationso we can be sure to hook up. My email is j@schrader.net

Then, I'd like to meet up at your shop to see the restoration project in progress. I need to get pointers as this is my first Corvette restoration.

I don't know if the coves were Frost Blue, but they were definitely a shade of blue. Can you comment on the access blue color for 1959?

Thanks!
I will be around Auto Fair with our corvette club for display on Sat. and Sun. Queen City Corvette Club. I know I will be doing alot of looking at other cars with my girlfriend and my friends from the club but we will be around. I will PM you some info. The show is late April is the NCRS regional event at Lowe's Motor Speedway. We will have our black and silver 59 there for judging on the last weekend in April.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Jon, Also, the coves on '59's were either Snowcrest White or Inca Silver. There were no Frost Blue coves. The coves were always lighter than the body color and the wheels in 59 were black not the body color as other years. Yours may have been the silver or have been painted later by someone although there is rumor of a few custom orders getting out with different color coves but those were rare. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:54 AM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 59, Snowcrest white, Red Coves.... I always thought that was an option, and I have seena few like this. I know White was one of the most prevalant colors then (Not Red), and I was told Red could have been used as a cove color. When I stripped the paint off a few weeks back, there was no evidence of white under the red coves??

So.. Is red a possible correct cove color after all??

Thanks

BTW.. Great looking resto.. One of these days I will post pics of my current 59 resto... Picking up the bumpers later today.. Just finished the reupholstery.. more wet sanding this weekend!! Good Luck on yours...
Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

According to my order codes the only one's for white were #510 Solid Snowcrest White and #515 Snowcrest White/Inca Silver Cove. That is all that is listed from GM Dealer Chart for the 59 year model year that I have. This is all I have to go on but as stated some could have gotten by or been painted different. One thing we have learned on this restoration is never say never on something. There are things on this car that should not have been but I know it was never changed because the original owner did nothing cosmetic to the car. Thanks for the comments and looking forward to seeing yours.

Last edited by SunsetC6; 03-30-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

SunsetC6, great story & pix. Keep 'em coming. Best of luck.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 PM
The Shredder
Intermediate

Yes, Timbo, please share your pictures from the restoration. These threads are my inspiration! I'm just tearing mine down right now. I think I have to become a Senior CF member before I can post pictures.

Talk to you soon.

Jon
Old 03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey SHredder(Jon)

PM sent with pics check your messages
Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 AM
59t-tom
Instructor

What a great find. Keep up the photos and documentation.

Tom
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 PM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Took the voltage regulator apart and wiped it off bit to check the part number and manufacture date on it. Believe it or not it is still the original one. I was shocked at this one still being on the car. Still not alot going on right now as we are getting ready for Auto Fair and the NCRS events here in Charlotte over the next few weeks then it will be back to work!!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 PM
islandcruiser
Advanced

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I love that color. My dad had one that color combo when I was a kid. I did this car in his memory. I'm about the same age now he was when he had his. Your a lucky man to have found such a great car to start with. I'll be following all your posts. Brian G.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-11-2007, 06:58 AM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aworks
I love that color. My dad had one that color combo when I was a kid. I did this car in his memory. I'm about the same age now he was when he had his. Your a lucky man to have found such a great car to start with. I'll be following all your posts. Brian G.[IMG][/IMG]
I think that is the first pic of a solid Frost Blue I have seen. All others I have seen had the Snowcrest White coves. Thanks for posting it!!! Nice ride....
Old 04-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

VERY nice. Keep the pictures coming. Chuck
Old 04-11-2007, 08:02 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

My dads car was all blue. So I did this one the same. I also went with the blue soft top. I have only seen one other car that was triple blue. What color soft top did your car have? As I understand it not many came with the blue tops.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a great find! And the best part is it ended up in the right hands for restoration. I really enjoy the pics and documentaion.

Just curious, is this a later vin number?

I look forward to following your postings.

Thanks, Doug
Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aworks
My dads car was all blue. So I did this one the same. I also went with the blue soft top. I have only seen one other car that was triple blue. What color soft top did your car have? As I understand it not many came with the blue tops.
The soft top on ours is white.

Get notified of new replies

To 1959 Frost Blue restoration. (Pics added at it continues)

Old 04-11-2007, 04:43 PM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Workin On 59
What a great find! And the best part is it ended up in the right hands for restoration. I really enjoy the pics and documentaion.

Just curious, is this a later vin number?

I look forward to following your postings.

Thanks, Doug
Yes this is a late car. Vin #108922 July 13, 1959.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Default Update on 1959 Frost Blue Restoration....Pics added

Well the shows and vacation are over and now it is time to get back to work on the car although I have some engine mods to do to my C-6 that are on the way that will take some time. The update is the frame is being finished up to go to the painter ( pics later) and the most exciting thing is the body is on the rotisserie jig and it is going to be so nice working on getting it ready for paint now. This thing works great for rotating the body to get to the underside for pressure washing, repairs (rusted nuts etc.) and powder blasting. Posting some pics for all to see. A friend of mine makes these and sells them at Auto Fair in Charlotte every year. This is only the second one he as done for a C-1 but it works well. He does them for all different body cars. Updates will come as the work continues. Still a long way to go......

Last edited by SunsetC6; 05-30-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:32 PM
wallemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck with all your projects!

Quick Reply: 1959 Frost Blue restoration. (Pics added at it continues)