C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SUN DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
chub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUN DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE Value

I remember back in the day, that the sun machine was the state of the art diagnostic machine for our era cars. My question is what is a good price for one with all of the instruction manuals included. I remember reading on this forum that someone had recommended, that if you could find someone in your town who had one, it would be a good help to have it analyze your car as well as all the other benefits.

I have an opportunity to buy one locally. I would appreciate any and all thoughts and advice, good or bad.

Thanks,
Chub
Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I would think at least a couple of hundred dollars. If you pass on it I would be interested. Dave
Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
I would think at least a couple of hundred dollars. If you pass on it I would be interested. Dave
Thanks Dave, I will keep you in mind.

Chub
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

there's a Sun Diagnostics Machine (no idea what model) free to a good home in San Jose:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/gms/292044081.html

if it is a Sun Distributor testing machine (rather than the engine analyzer machine we all seem to have in mind, with a CO2 sensor, oscillascope, etc) then there is one in Maryland:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...291631087.html

we had one of these (although I recall it was a red cabinet, and maybe a bit older) in our autoshop class when I was in high school:

Last edited by ctjackster; 03-12-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been looking for a Sun distributor machine locally for a while, and both are on ebay all the time and would be a decent yardstick for value.

I would not trust shipping an old piece of precision equipment so I only use ebay to get a feel for what I might pay locally.

I have a lot of what is available in the Sun diagnostic machine individually (osciliscope, vacuum, tach/dwell, pressure, timing light, etc.) but the stand and machine is very impressive looking.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:48 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joel 67
I have been looking for a Sun distributor machine locally for a while, and both are on ebay all the time and would be a decent yardstick for value.

I would not trust shipping an old piece of precision equipment so I only use ebay to get a feel for what I might pay locally.

I have a lot of what is available in the Sun diagnostic machine individually (osciliscope, vacuum, tach/dwell, pressure, timing light, etc.) but the stand and machine is very impressive looking.
I don't know which machine it is, but I will be looking it over this evening. I am hoping that it is not just the analyzer.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

note that a used Sun Machine 450 (a more recent version of their diagnostics machine) would sell in the multiple thousands of dollars . . . .
Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ctjackster
there's a Sun Diagnostics Machine (no idea what model) free to a good home in San Jose:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/gms/292044081.html

if it is a Sun Distributor testing machine (rather than the engine analyzer machine we all seem to have in mind, with a CO2 sensor, oscillascope, etc) then there is one in Maryland:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...291631087.html

we had one of these (although I recall it was a red cabinet, and maybe a bit older) in our autoshop class when I was in high school:

The San Jose craigslist guy was serious about letting you know the price!:

* I HAVE A FREE SUN DIAGNOSTICS MACHINE FOR FREE IF YOU WANT IT. ITS OLD BUT IT WORKS AND ITS FREE.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 551 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

First find the model number. My first Sun was TUT-915
I just had to disassemble and throw out a Sun 1015 becaust I tried for years to get someone to fix it and was unsucessful.
They are great dianostic tools if you know how to interpret the paterns. I have used a scope since 1972 and I feel blind when I check out an engine without one. If you get one I can help you.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
They are great dianostic tools if you know how to interpret the paterns. I have used a scope since 1972 and I feel blind when I check out an engine without one. If you get one I can help you.
That would be great info for Barry's website. If you are feeling motivated, would you mind writting a little something on how you perform your analysis, etc?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joel 67
That would be great info for Barry's website. If you are feeling motivated, would you mind writting a little something on how you perform your analysis, etc?

post the info here, it would be even better for THIS website
Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
rgs
Drifting

I bought mine from a local community college auto department about 10 years ago. I paid $40 for it. It has the large screen oscilloscope, (about 20 inches diag). Another helpful feature is the load balance tester. It allows you to cancel each cylinder to test for power balance. Additional features include an integral dial back timing light, multirange tach, voltmeter, vacuum gauge, etc.
I use it regularly and it works perfectly.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by rgs
I bought mine from a local community college auto department about 10 years ago. I paid $40 for it. It has the large screen oscilloscope, (about 20 inches diag). Another helpful feature is the load balance tester. It allows you to cancel each cylinder to test for power balance. Additional features include an integral dial back timing light, multirange tach, voltmeter, vacuum gauge, etc.
thanks rgs,
I may be asking u for help.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
chub
Instructor

First find the model number. My first Sun was TUT-915
I just had to disassemble and throw out a Sun 1015 becaust I tried for years to get someone to fix it and was unsucessful.
Thanks plaidside,
I definitely will ask for help. I was supposed to see it last night, but now it won't happen until Wed. night.

Chub
Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
chub
Instructor

Originally Posted by rgs
thanks rgs,
I may be asking u for help.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:47 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

When I get some free time I will post some information on pattern interpretations.
I used to train new buyers of scopes for Allen Test products back when. I will have to dust off some of my manuals and post some pics.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:17 PM
chub
Instructor

When I get some free time I will post some information on pattern interpretations.
I used to train new buyers of scopes for Allen Test products back when. I will have to dust off some of my manuals and post some pics.
Well, you can definitely expect me to ask for some help.

Chub

Get notified of new replies

To SUN DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE Value

Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
jeff smothers
1st Gear

Default wow i've one for sale

i have a large diagnostice machine top of the line manuals, hoses, large scope, everything you need in its day valued over 6,000.00 but it could be yours for 10% thats $600.00 the weight alone at the scrape yard would be close to that 803-417-7026 jeff
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Chrisintampa
Instructor

I cant find anyone locally that can give me lessons on the 1120 I bought a few years ago.i almost thought about selling it. If you ever make a trek down to tampa, we could make a youtube series for the allen testers.

How cool would that be?? Someone should ready make some videos and post them on youtube....
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chrisintampa
I cant find anyone locally that can give me lessons on the 1120 I bought a few years ago.i almost thought about selling it. If you ever make a trek down to tampa, we could make a youtube series for the allen testers.

How cool would that be?? Someone should ready make some videos and post them on youtube....
That would be a lot of time and work but if there was enough of interest I might consider it. There is more to scope patterns then what I posted.
Read these three threads that I did just recently.
Joe

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...e-pattern.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-part-1-a.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...terns-2-a.html

Quick Reply: SUN DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE Value