C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlight Motor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:47 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Headlight Motor Removal

Does anyone have a close up photo of the bolt and clip that need to be removed to free the headlight motor from the bucket while on the car. I looked under there and could not make sense of what wires, bolts or clips need to be removed to get the motor out. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Caution....make sure your hood is supported if attached. Best yet is put a bolt through the support arm hole. Now you have a ground wire attached to the body of the motor with a bolt through the support bracket, unbolt it. The bracket attaches under the front surrond panel. If you loosen the bolt from the underside of the surround panel you can swing the bracket loose. Then unplug the main wires from the inboard side of the motor. If you still have the thumb wheel attached at the end of the motor, rotate it enough to take the tension/load off of the gear housing. Then you have a basic clip/retainer that pinches on the motor locating stud, remove this and your motor will come out. I hope this helps. Dennis
Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Unplug wires noted by "1"
Remove small bolt or screw noted by "2"
Remove little black clip noted by "3"

Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

What position is the headlight in when the motor is removed. Is it fully retracted and is the headlight bezel supposed to be removed? Thanks for the great pictures!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
What position is the headlight in when the motor is removed. Is it fully retracted and is the headlight bezel supposed to be removed? Thanks for the great pictures!
I don't think it matters what position, but the shop manual notes that you should manually turn the thumb wheel on the end of the motor a few turns to take any stress off of the gears. For example, if your headlights are fully closed, turn the thumb wheel a few turns in the "opening" direction so as to ever so slightly start open the headlights - which will release the tension in the motor.

When I did mine, I removed the motors with the headlights in the closed position.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Roll 'em up so they are off the stops.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Motor Removal

Quick Reply: Headlight Motor Removal