C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Low Beam Headlight Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
dcxguy

Default Low Beam Headlight Out

The low beam headlight is out on the passenger side on my 66. I swithced the low beam bulbs to make sure it's not the bulb - no such luck - that would be too easy! The bulbs all work on the high beam setting.

My next guess is the wiring in the right headlight bucket - bubba was there at some point as a few of the wires are crimped and taped. Tonight I repaired these connections with new wire connectors, but the low beam bulb is still out.

Any ideas??? I'm thinking it may be time for new "Headlight bucket extension harnesses" from Lectric Limited. Thanks!

Tom
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
SIXt7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New dimmer switch?? Good luck.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Driver 61
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check that you have power to the right headlight, the contacts or socket could be bad. Also check ground while your there. The high beam is on another wire then low beam
Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 AM
ssgnco
Instructor

Yes, agree with Driver 61. My low beam light went out on one side and still came on when switched to high beam. The think the low beam light may have 2 separate filiments in it - one for high and one for low. When I replaced the sealed beam unit, it worked both in high and low. I would try checking power and swapping left and right low beam sealed beam units to isolate the problem to the bulb or power.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXt7
New dimmer switch?? Good luck.

Dimmer Switch----About $10. Had similar symptoms caused by floor dimmer switch worn out/poor connection. Easy to replace & tried the cheapest repair first (and it worked!!!).
Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This may sound a little silly but since Bubba was at work at some point...the low-beam connector on the passenger side is three-pin? The high-beam connector has only two pins. And yes, the sealed beam (low) has two filaments and just the low filament can burn out.

Three-pin low is on the right, high on the left.

Last edited by Paul L; 03-20-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
ssgnco
Instructor

Originally Posted by paul67
This may sound a little silly but since Bubba was at work at some point...the low-beam connector on the passenger side is three-pin? The high-beam connector has only two pins. And yes, the sealed beam (low) has two filaments and just the low filament can burn out.
Yes, that's what I thought the arrangement was.

You can just replace the sealed beam for under $10, unless....you want to put T-3 units in to keep the car correct. I was only able to find a complete set (that is how the vendor packages them) for around $125 I think. I still have the extra used low beam if you want to pay for me to ship it to you. I think it was in the car for over 10 years though. Like I said, if it was me, I would try swapping in the one from the other side to check.

Gregg
Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dcxguy
The low beam headlight is out on the passenger side on my 66. I swithced the low beam bulbs to make sure it's not the bulb - no such luck - that would be too easy! The bulbs all work on the high beam setting.

My next guess is the wiring in the right headlight bucket - bubba was there at some point as a few of the wires are crimped and taped. Tonight I repaired these connections with new wire connectors, but the low beam bulb is still out.

Any ideas??? I'm thinking it may be time for new "Headlight bucket extension harnesses" from Lectric Limited. Thanks!

Tom
If you don't own a test light by now go out and get yourself one. For about $5 you will be able to test your wiring and find the problem. I don't know what I would do without a test light around. Get the type with probe on one end and alligator clip ground wire on the other. With it you should find your problem right away. Sounds like a bad connection to me. Take the test light and probe the lamp sockets to see if you have power with the lights on. Being your high beams work you will see your test light, light up when checking that socket while they are on. With the low beams on check both sides. You say the left side works well so check the oposite side for the same wire and follow it back up the harness. You mentioned that Bubba taped and crimped some wire there. I am willing to bet that your problem probably lies there.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:42 PM
dcxguy

Default Low Beam Headlight Out

Thanks, guys!!!

I've tried switching the low beam bulbs side-to-side, but it's not the bulb. And even though bubba was there at some point, the connectors are correct (two and three prong connectors). It's sounds like it may be the high beam switch - I'll start there for now.

Tom
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

It's not the dimmer switch. If you have a low-beam light on one side and not on the other side, it's in the wiring or connections forward of the dimmer switch - one wire from the dimmer switch serves the low-beam circuit on both sides. Get a test light and probe for power to find the open circuit.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Beam Headlight Out

Quick Reply: Low Beam Headlight Out