C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Spring Ring Hose Clamps...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Spring Ring Hose Clamps...

Getting close to finishing the heater core installation and I came to where the heater hoses get attached to the heater core at the firewall. Won't have enough room to re-attach the clamps you tighten with a screwdriver (not the tower clamps, the other ones). So I'm going with the spring ring clamps, because they are a lot thinner and while I know they are correct in the first place, how is there holding power when tightened? It looks like when you tighten it over a rubber hose end, it would just bounce back from the rubber and not actually squeeze/tighten it.

Also, would it be a waste to get the spring ring hose clamp pliers? Or could you just take 2 pairs of pliers and pull outward to tighten them?

Thanks...
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installing/removing corbin clamps without the corbin pliers is an exercise in futility. NAPA sells them for under $10.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

You'll hate yourself if you don't get those special pliers made for those clamps. Next to impossible and certainly frustrating to try to spread them without the special pliers.

If you have the opportunity, get extra clamps. They can break when they're squeezed open. If you don't wear eye protection, keep them away from your face.

They seem to hold just fine. Yeah, I too at first thought that they looked a little wimpy. But when you remove one a few years later, you'll see where it has left deep marks in the hose. Chevrolet built tens of millions of cars with these clamps, so I guess they work the way they're supposed to.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Doc Rebuild has the best quality Corbin clamps - have used his for many years on several cars, and have never had a leaker. Definitely buy the Corbin clamp pliers with swiveling jaws - they make installation or removal quick and easy, without damaging the clamps.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Thanks for the responses guys...

Never knew they were actually called Corbin clamps...
Old 03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
... Or could you just take 2 pairs of pliers and pull outward to tighten them?

Thanks...
The clamps come "tight". Squeezing the ends together temporarily expands the clamp. Don't squeeze the clamp any more than you have to.

Being cheap, er I mean frugal, I made my own special tool by drilling the end of an old set of pliers. It works good enough for a tool I use very infrequently.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nassau66427
The clamps come "tight". Squeezing the ends together temporarily expands the clamp.
There lies some of the confusion I had. I thought they came loose, meaning bigger than 5/8 and 3/4, so they would slide over the hoses with no effort, then you would actually have to compress them to tighten.

So they come pre-tightened...this is good news...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my drunken friends one day decided that he wanted to see how tight the spring rings are so, he put one on one of his fingers. All I heard was screaming since he could not get it off! Needless to say, he never did it again.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Ring Hose Clamps...

Quick Reply: Spring Ring Hose Clamps...