C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Need a 1967 Electrical Guru

Old 02-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Elmerfudd1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need a 1967 Electrical Guru

I went to start my car, connected the battery quick disconnect and the entire car was dead, no courtesy lights,starter, brake lights, hazards, nothing. Tested the battery, grounds, thought maybe a fusable link blew, maybe the quick disconnect was bad.

Eventually went to the fuse panel and the fuse on the bottom (courtesy and hazard) was not making good contact, as soon as I adjusted the fuse, the entire car came back to life.

Can someone explain to me if this is correct for the entire car to go dead if that particular fuse is blown or dislodged. Here’s a picture of my fuse block, I know the bottom is cracked off. Thank you

Old 02-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

do a search for the red wire problems
Old 02-03-2021, 08:16 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

The wire that feeds the 12v to the fusebox comes in through the bulkhead connector. When you moved the fuse, you moved the wire connection. If you had tested, the horn would still have blown, but nothing else. If you pull the fuse block screws and turn it around, you'll probably find corroded, burned, or loose connections on the red wire contacts, OR the red wire in the connector under the hood that feeds it. Ignore the arrow pointing to the brown wire, it's the red one at the bottom. Don't overlook the possibility that the battery disconnect was not making solid contact.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 02-03-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:33 PM
Elmerfudd1
Intermediate

I eliminated the disconnect entirely and then found the loose fuse, although I probably will get rid of the disconnect and get a new one. So do I replace the entire fuse block, or re-attach the the red wire on the left of your picture which I’m assuming is the bad one?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:44 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

You don't need to replace anything until you troubleshoot. If you had tried the horn, and it worked, it would be almost certainly the red wire on the top left (as you look from the front of the car) on the inside bulkhead connector. Still probably is, the fuse only feeds courtesy lights, brake lights, clock and glove box light. It would not keep the car from starting. The most likely culprit is the connection on either the male or female (or both sides). If the pin is pushed in partially, or corroded, or just loose from too much heat over the years, the entire car will be dead except for the horn. The connector is located on the engine side of the bulkhead below the driver's side hood latch and it is the one on the connector closest to the centerline of the car. Here is a picture of a really badly corroded one. They can usually be cleaned up and tightened. Disconnect the battery before you stick anything into the connector, that red wire is hot all the time.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:05 PM
Elmerfudd1
Intermediate

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate the timely response. I will check in the morning and report back.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a 1967 Electrical Guru

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Need a 1967 Electrical Guru