C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which spark plugs to use?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:58 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Which spark plugs to use?

Picked up the subject from a thread a couple of months ago. I'm trying to find the correct plug to use on my 327. I do have the TRW pop up pistons and I'm running 64cc Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. I also have Hooker side mount headers so I need a plug that is as short as possible. I'm not a big fan of Accel and I read in the quotes below about the NGK's. My only question is are the NGK's correct for my application (Summit says I need an "S" heat range plug) and are they shorter than stock?
Thanks in advance.
Scott

Sorry - I meant to add I'm running a stock HEI distributor.

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
The original plug for Corvette 327s through '68 was the AC 44. In 1969, it was the R44. The 44 series is not available anymore, but no matter as it was really a bit too cold for normal driving. The 45 series is better.

There is no real performance difference in the 45 or R45. The R is for resistor plugs which help reduce ignition noise in radios. The R45S has an extended tip which helps keep it cleaner from fouling and so it runs a bit better. However, if you have high domed pistons or the heads have been shaved, you could hit. You need to install the plugs, turn the engine over, and then check the plugs if you have any performance work done on the engine.

If you are running the R43S, you'd better be doing hot laps most of the day, because it is far too cold for the street.
Originally Posted by paul67
I agree with Joe. The NGK B-4 is the same heat range as the AC 45 (hard to find) and is non-resistor and non-extended tip.

Last edited by sperkins; 04-09-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The plug laying on the box looks like a standard length tip. The PICUTURE of the plug on the box looks like an extended tip. Look at the difference in how far the white ceramic sticks out of the plug shell. If you're talking about overall length for header clearance, I can't help you. I also have no knowledge whether your engine can use the extended tip plugs as I've never owned a set of those heads.

On a AC plug R45S for example:

R= resistor
4= I don't remember
5= heat range=
S= extended tip (no S= standard length tip) The S has nothing to do with heat range but it's supposed to run cleaner.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 AM
dmentzer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you from using these same heads on my 327 with the pop ups that you can't use the extended tip plug. It will hit the piston. First of all, you have to use a 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat plug. Edelbrock recommends one but it is an extended tip plug. I used a regular tip NGK R5671A-8 and they worked fine. But, they are a standard length plug and may hit your headers. I don't know what the equivilent is in a shorty plug, sorry. These heads work really good, but I had too many problems trying to get them to seal with the factory aluminum intake. I ended up putting my original 461's back on my motor.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmentzer
I can tell you from using these same heads on my 327 with the pop ups that you can't use the extended tip plug. It will hit the piston. First of all, you have to use a 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat plug. Edelbrock recommends one but it is an extended tip plug. I used a regular tip NGK R5671A-8 and they worked fine. But, they are a standard length plug and may hit your headers. I don't know what the equivilent is in a shorty plug, sorry. These heads work really good, but I had too many problems trying to get them to seal with the factory aluminum intake. I ended up putting my original 461's back on my motor.
Here's a link to the shorty plugs that Summit sold me. They are .75 reach, but it looks to me like they would hit the piston. Do the specs on these plugs look similar to what you are talking about?

The picture on the web page is not the actual plug. Mine is pictured below. (Sorry for the fuzzy shot)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Old 04-08-2007, 11:53 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Here's a link to the shorty plugs that Summit sold me. They are .75 reach, but it looks to me like they would hit the piston.
I've never seen a plug with that long reach (threads) used in a small-block; they look like piston-knockers to me too.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:03 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

NGK R5671A-8 and they worked fine. But, they are a standard length plug and may hit your headers.

Here is the NGK R5671A-8. It looks just like my shorty's. Are you sure they didn't hit?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 PM
dmentzer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the instructions you got from Edelbrock and their recommended plug. It is an RC-12YC. But that plug is an extended tip. It will hit the piston. I know. I did a lot of measuring before I installed the heads on my motor. These Edelbrock heads do NOT take the same type of plug that a stock Chevy 461 type head takes. Edelbrock tells you that these heads can be used with any factory type piston. But the way the chamber is designed, the plug extends pretty far into the chamber and you have to be careful if you are not using flat top pistons. The NGK 5671 is not an extended tip and will work fine. But, it might be too long for your headers. It is a standard length plug and your plug pictured appears to be shorter. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Check out the instructions you got from Edelbrock and their recommended plug. It is an RC-12YC. But that plug is an extended tip. It will hit the piston. I know. I did a lot of measuring before I installed the heads on my motor. These Edelbrock heads do NOT take the same type of plug that a stock Chevy 461 type head takes. Edelbrock tells you that these heads can be used with any factory type piston. But the way the chamber is designed, the plug extends pretty far into the chamber and you have to be careful if you are not using flat top pistons. The NGK 5671 is not an extended tip and will work fine. But, it might be too long for your headers. It is a standard length plug and your plug pictured appears to be shorter. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for all of your help Dan. I never knew what a complicated mess a spark plug application could be. I called NGK yesterday and we narrowed down my selection to their R5671A-7. It is a little hotter than the R5671A-8 and the tech guy thinks it would be better suited for my application. Unfortunately, there is absolutely NO shorty plug by any manufacturer for my application. I'm going to pick up a set of their R5671A-7 and give them a try. Thanks again!
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Which spark plugs to use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which spark plugs to use?