C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 trunk lock cylinder reapir?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default '61 trunk lock cylinder reapir?

My trunk lock has gotten so finicky about opening, that i decided I better leave it open and repair or replace it.

I don't mind buying a replacement lock assy, but then my trunk key won't match the doors.

I know it is the lock cyl and not the keys, as both my old worn key and a new cut replacement will operate both doors, but the new replacement key, cut from numbers, won't open the trunk at all, and the worn key often won't unless you fuss with it.

It it possible to repair the old cylinder?

If so, how do you get it out of the housing it turns in? Or if not, how do you get the trunk/door cylinders to all operate on the same key? I don't want a whole bunch of keys for the car.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Look in Hemmings. There is a guy named Jarvis that is the expert on car locks, etc. I'm sure he can make the correct cylinder, or match it (remember there are only about a dozen combinations for all the GM locks of the period)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

any competent local locksmith can rekey your new trunk cylinder to match your other keys, it's not rocket science......
Bill
Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I know it isn't rocket science, but how do you get the cylinder out of the housing without buggering it up?

if I knew how to do that,a nd get it back in without it being all dinged up, I could fix the problem myself, as the problem is apparently just a single worn wafer, or whatever you call the thin brass tumblers that move up and down.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I know it isn't rocket science, but how do you get the cylinder out of the housing without buggering it up?

if I knew how to do that,a nd get it back in without it being all dinged up, I could fix the problem myself, as the problem is apparently just a single worn wafer, or whatever you call the thin brass tumblers that move up and down.

Thanks,
Doug
It's harder than it looks, Doug.

Different size wafers, little springs, keepers to hold things together, etc.

EMail me privately, and I'll tell you where to send them to be repaired, rekeyed (all alike) with all correct components.

They'll come back working like new. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To '61 trunk lock cylinder reapir?

Quick Reply: '61 trunk lock cylinder reapir?