C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

5-speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 09:41 AM
talladi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-speed transmission

My '59 fuelie runs great but for highway cruising I would love to have an overdrive. Does anyone know if there is possibility to fit a 5-speed box, or change the ratios of the original transmission?

Thank you!
Adrian from Switzerland
Old 10-18-2001, 11:05 AM
C1 CMEGO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 5-speed transmission (talladi)

I am running a 3:08 rear with a wide ratio muncie 1st 3 gears are close with a big jump to 4th makes it nice around town without screaming on the highway
I don't know about other tranneys but the Nash 5speed in my truck still ends up at 1 to 1 so you still need to change the rear gear for hwy use I have been tempted to take the nash & put it in the Vette but the 4 speed workes pretty good now
JJ
Old 10-18-2001, 01:45 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: 5-speed transmission (Jeffery Jenner)

There is at least one overdrive unit I've heard of that can be bolted onto an automatic, but I'm not aware of any overdrive units that can be bolted to a T-10 or Muncie. About your only choice is to install a lower numerical axle ratio, but this will reduce performance due to the taller gearing in all gears. This can be overcome with a wide ratio gearset in the box, but then you have a big gap to fourth.

The ultimate solution is a Richmond five speed. The top four gears are about the same as a CR T-10, but first is 3.28, so you need to run it with about a 3:1 ring and pinion.

Duke
Old 10-18-2001, 02:27 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

I have a Richmond (fka Doug Nash) Street 5-spd that I will be installing soon (I hope) replacing the Muncie 4-spd that's behind the engine now. I'll also be changing the rear axle from 3:70 to 3:08, all in anticipation of driving my 57 from FL to Monterey, CA next summer. I'll post on this forum when the transplant is complete (hopefully with good results!)
Old 10-18-2001, 11:06 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

talladi,

Not sure if this tranny swap is dooable in your car (I am certainly going to look into this in my midyear) http://www.fortesparts.com/tremec/tr3550-2.htmlbut my son is planning on installing a TREMEC 5 speed in his '68 Camaro convertible.
http://www.fortesparts.com/tremec/tr3550-2.html

Check this site out:

Their TR-3550 appears to be the tranny to consider. The gear ratios of this 5-speed are:

1st: 3.27
2nd: 1.98
3rd: 1.34
4th: 1.00
5th: .68

Cost probably, after the dust settles, under $2,000. Something to consider...screaming out of the hole!! yet loafin' at 65 to 70...cake and eat it!

I just need to call them and find out how much surgery is needed on the existing crossmember of a mid year.

Just a thought on your desires to have the guts at the low end with effortless cruising w/, dare I say this, mileage!!

Jim
Old 10-18-2001, 11:26 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: 5-speed transmission (6T5RUSH)

I get 20.5mpg at 75 mph with cruise control on (if I keep my foot out or the carb) :lol: , 3.08 rear gears, Muncie 4 speed (2.5 first to 1.0 fourth), A-C off, chin spoiler on, and 35psi in the tires. What kind of mileage are you hoping for? With a 3.08 rear, it is hard to use 4th gear below 30mph:crazy: , although I can lug it around corners in 4th - cruising below 30mph makes me reach for third. City mileage is 10-12 (if I keep my foot out or the carb) :lol:
Old 10-20-2001, 11:21 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 5-speed transmission (magicmachines)

Magic

What are you running for a Chin Spoiler on your car? Did it help in highway cooling? My cooling system is OK but I might like to add something like that for "looks" if there was a cooling benefit I would be even more interested. Also the "Chin" on my car is in need of a repaint / touch up so perhaps a spoiler is something else I could add while I am "under there"?

What did you use and how does it attach to the car?

Oman
Old 10-21-2001, 12:05 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 5-speed transmission (TheOman)

Oman - You know (a couple of months ago) I posted the name of the Minnesota company that I bought it from (ten years ago) and I can't find the post or the receipt (in the mighty pile of paper). The company has a three letter name and sells racing equipment by catalog. They made them for racing midyear cars 30 years ago. I had to cut square holes for the lower bumper bracket (race cars don't use bumpers) and drill holes to use the screws that mount the radiator support from under the chin.

Yes it helped with the cooling and offset the negative effect that the plastic (window) screen material (that covers the radiator and A-C exchanger to keep bugs out) has on air flow. Making the brackets for the screen material was just as hard as mounting the air dam. :smash:
Old 10-21-2001, 12:24 AM
L79vette
Pro

Default mid-year chin spoiler

Eckler's has them:
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...&pf%5Fid=10187

Old 10-21-2001, 10:28 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: mid-year chin spoiler (L79vette)

Thenks guys. Magic does that Eckler unit look like the one you have?
Old 10-21-2001, 08:18 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Default Re: mid-year chin spoiler (TheOman)

Mine looks to be twice as tall and not quite as wide. Check the bottom of the Garage Photos link off my Homepage (below). I put a shot there the last time someone asked. Bottom shot is as installed after repairs. Above that is on the workbench getting repaired. Above that is on the car as it returned from the 2001 Hot Rod Power Tour. I drove across a grass field In Tucumcari New Mexico for a photo op and cracked it (for the second time in ten years). The beauty of glass is a visit to the local boat dealer provides $5 worth of liquid to repair the problem and bumper black paint will cover the repairs.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
I just looked for the company name on the dam. It is on the side that faces the car. My dam is now 5.5 inches high (low?) at the center. It was 6.5 inches when I got it but I needed the ground clearance - so I cut it.

Eckler says you have to notch their dam. If you look at the photo of mine, you will see that the bumper bracket holes barely make the center. Notching indicates that their's is half as deep as mine. Aside from that, if you can get Eckler to say they stand behind their fiberglass designs, I have a BB fan shroud that was short a mounting bolt hole flange when I received it. I would like them to replace it (still - after all these years). I added the flange - they refused to exchange it for one with a GM style flange with the 4th bolt hole.

On the other hand - it is a place to start adding glass. A 68 flange might work better.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:59 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: 5-speed transmission (DavidB)

I talked to Gear Vendors at the SEMA show last week and they finally have adapted their overdrive to the early T-10 and Muncie four speeds. It will require shortening the driveshaft, and I would question the possibility of installing it in a C2 without a removeable center cross member due to the oveall length of the gearbox with the overdrive installed, but I would imagine that it might be easier on a C1.

Their web site is: http://www.gearvendors.com

Duke

[Modified by SWCDuke, 9:02 AM 11/11/2001]
Old 11-11-2001, 04:46 PM
dynastydan
Heel & Toe

I've managed to get a T-56 6 speed in my 61. It was a shoehorn project and I had to install a modified transmission tunnel. Still working on getting the pedal assembly back in since it's a hydraulic clutch. I'm running a 4.11 in the rear and the .5 to 1 second overdrive should help alot. Let me know if you want additional info or pictures.
Old 11-12-2001, 04:45 PM
BIGBLOCK62
Instructor

Default Re: 5-speed transmission (DavidB)

Richmond 5 speed is no big deal. Email me if you need any help.
Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To 5-speed transmission

Quick Reply: 5-speed transmission