C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:42 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Windshield Scratches

I have some slight scratches in my windshield, possibly caused by the wipers. Has anyone used any product that will remove slight surface scratches in glass? Thanks
Old 05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Eastwood adverstises a product, but alot of people day it doesn't work well.

2000 steel wool? Wait for others to chime in.

Why not just take it to a glass shop. They should be able to do it while you wait.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:22 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

A few years back I went to an old time auto glass guy and he told me could get the minor road chips/imperfections out but I would notice the waviness when driving towards a setting sun. I ending up with a new windshield later on but that is a whole another story.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=crw41;1560128362]Eastwood adverstises a product, but alot of people day it doesn't work well.

My windshield had "arcs" from both wipers that were opaque & about 1 1/2" high. Bud of mine had just gotten the kit from Eastwood, mixed the powder into a paste, applied to the affected area. Working at SLOOOW speed with a variable-speed drill with a soft cloth bonnet, he worked back & forth until the "opaque-ness" disappeared. Now I have two 1/16" "shiny" arcs that have NEVER bothered my windshield vision Cost me one fish sandwich & 3 beers

Cruz
Old 05-06-2007, 07:43 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

The standard rule is if you can catch a fingernail in the scratch then the polishing kit won't completely remove them. If the scratches are light the eastwood kit works pretty well. It's a lot of work and somewhat messy. I would mask off the rubber gasket and about a foot past it. You have to apply some moderate amount of pressure as you are polishing so it is work. Just don't dwell on one area too long, keep it moist and keep the polisher moving. I would also suggest making a least one complete pass over the entire windshield as the polish will really brighten up old dingy glass and make it look like new again. This way you can avoid the shiny arcs. This product can distort glass if you really bear down on it and try to remove a deeper imperfection than it's designed for. It shouldn't do any harm in removing light windshield wiper haze and very light scratches.

Dan
Old 05-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
I have some slight scratches in my windshield, possibly caused by the wipers. Has anyone used any product that will remove slight surface scratches in glass? Thanks
Many moons ago worked on the engineering support office at Pilkington Glass. We found that using a buffing wheel with Jiff benchtop cleaner, would remove alot of the minor scratches that occured in the handling of the glass.
Another remedy was to use a mild paint cutter with the wheel.
A skilled operator on one of these wheels could produce a undetectable repair.

Neville

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Scratches

Quick Reply: Windshield Scratches