C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Secondary opening?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
ro.co3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary opening?

I've been wondering if the secondaries on my edelbrock 600cfm carb were opening so I put a dab of grease on one of the weights to see if it touched the choke. It did not. My guess is that since I have a 65 with base engine (250hp) and the original intake, that the holes in the intake are too small to allow the secondary to open completely. Like to hear what you think.

Last edited by ro.co3; 05-23-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 AM
ro.co3
Instructor

ttt, sure would like to get some ideas about this. Maybe I need to go to a different intake. Or maybe its the edelbrock secondary itself but I dont think it can be adjusted. Thanks for any feedback. By the way I never mentioned that the car has a powerglide.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Don't know the answer. Just thought I'd give you a bump.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does that particular carburetor have mecahnical or vacuum operated secondaries. If your carb is anything like the original AFB, it has a mechanical linkage that operates the secondaries. The weights and flap, I think, are to ease the transition from no secondaries to full secondaries.
Brian
Old 05-26-2007, 12:31 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Why would you be racing a 250 hp powerglide?

P.S. The secondaries may never open.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:29 AM
ro.co3
Instructor

Its mechanical and there is no linkage that I can see. I did call edelbrock and they told me there was no adjustment. You have to drill out the weight to make it close easier(remove material). The only problem is, i asked what if I drill to much into the weight and it opens to soon,can I order a new weight. They don't sell the weights. Anyway I'll just keep racing golf carts Ain't lost yet.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:39 PM
rbarager
8th Gear

I'm not sure how the grease on the secondary air door weights would touch the choke, which is on the primary side, but if you are sure the air door is not opening, and the air door rotates easily without 'sticking', it's possible that the secondary throttle plates are not opening. This could be due to the secondary holes in the intake manifold being smaller that the secondary throttle bores of the carb (unlikely). It could also be due to some choke linkage which blocks the secondaries from opening until the engine warms up and the choke is off. I have seen this linkage on AFBs, but don't know if the Edelbrock carbs have it. It could also be that the secondary throttle plates are just 'stuck' shut. In any case, run the engine until the choke has completely opened, shut the engine off, remove the air cleaner, get up over the carb so you can look down into the secondary throttle bores. Take a screw driver and push the secondary air door open so you can see down to the secondary throttle blades at the base of the secondary throttle bores. You'll probably need a light to be able to see down in there. Then have someone (because you've probably run out of hands by this time) pull the carb linkage to full throttle and you should see the secondary throttle blades rotate 90 degrees to a vertical position. If they are, then I have to believe that your secondary air door IS opening and you need a better method than the grease to verify it. If they do not rotate to vertical, you should probably remove the carb, and do the same test with the carb in your hands (much easier this way). If the throttle blades rotate to vertical off of the car, look for interference between the throttle blades and the intake manifold or the carb gasket. If they still don't rotate to vertical, hold the throttle fully open and try rotating the secondary throttle plates by hand to make sure they are not stuck shut. If they move a little and are not stuck, then look for some piece of linkage which is not allowing them to open. The little piece of linkage I mentioned above, I have found down low on the driver's side. I hope this helps and I'd be interested in hearing your results.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:49 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128

C'mon Knight, Play nice! We all Love whatever Ooooomph our cars have! Al W.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by knight37128

ya got a time slip with that L-72 ??

I had a problem with a gasket that has too small of a bore and were holding the secondaries shut, swapped it out with a one hole gasket and the problem was solved.....
Old 05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
C'mon Knight, Play nice! We all Love whatever Ooooomph our cars have! Al W.
Have you ever driven a powerglide car? Performance dose not come to mind.

They don't exactly "get up and go". About the time the secondaries open, the transmission will shift. You need a lot of road to get the secondaries to open all the way. Or you could change the rear-end to a 5:14.

That is all I was saying.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:28 AM
ro.co3
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look at the secondary throttle blades today. If there opening I'll look at the gasket. I had this carb off a month ago you'd think I'd remember what the gasket looked like but I don't.

Get notified of new replies

To Secondary opening?

Quick Reply: Secondary opening?