C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Reproduction Headlight Motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM
red67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reproduction Headlight Motors

The headlight motors on my 67 needed help. One was slow, the other almost didnt work at all it was so slow. I took them both out and disassembled, cleaned...etc following the instructions posted on this board. It did help but they still dont operate as effectively as I think they should. There is no bind at all in the pivots on the ends of the headlight housings. They move very freely with the motors removed.

I have been looking at the reproducton motors like the ones they have at Paragon. Has anyone tried them? Are they of good quality and do they open the lights any faster than the originals?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I suggest you go over all the connections in the headlight rollover circuit before you dump a ton on new motors. Don't forget to clean the contacts in the switch, and the bulkhead connector.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM
red67
Intermediate

I checked the voltage on the green and black up/down wires at the motors and it looks good. I think the motors are just tired.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

why not just rebuild them yourself... It's fairly easy to do and I'm willing to bet besides changing the gear, the grease is probably real bad...

/joe
Old 05-29-2007, 02:34 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read an article that indicates the gears may not need to be changed, just re-oriented. They wear on one side only, but have useful life left on the other side. Grease needs to be updated.

I rotated mine and they are up and down like new.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM
red67
Intermediate

I have gone through the motors and cleaned out the old grease, replaced with fresh grease, cleaned the brush/armature contact and rotated the drive gear.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Run them on the work bench in each direction using a battery and a trickle charger. Give the motor brushs a chance to seat on the commutator. Run 4-5 minutes each way. They will get hot.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

The headlight rollover switch is worth looking into as mentioned. It has a 12 awg feed to carry voltage and current. Any deterioration of the contacts inside the switch will affect current carrying ability to your rebuilt motors. It was mentioned to bench run the motors, this will isolate the switch, circuit breaker, and wiring. Very common to have voltage but insufficient current on this particular circuit. Double check/clean the c/b connex too. Be careful when taking apart the rollover switch. Do not polish with silicone carbide paper. Use fine sandpaper then coat with contact enhancer/preservative.
keep us posted;
rene
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM
jammovette
Pro

Don't waste your time and money on the repo's. I went through 3 motors on my 66 right headlight before I got fed up and sent my original out to be rebuilt. Have not had any problems since.

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction Headlight Motors

Quick Reply: Reproduction Headlight Motors