C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 Vette rear whell bearing tool needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
cpmman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1964 Vette rear whell bearing tool needed

I need to replace the rear wheel bearing on my 1964 corvette coupe. Where can I get the tools needed to do the job, namely removing the spindle. Rent or buy is fine.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Tools

Many of the vendors sell the tools to remove and set up the rear bearings. In addition to the tools you will need at the very least, a dial indicator and a press. If you have not done this in the past, think about sending the trailing arms out to Van Steel or Blairs for rebuilding. The cost of the tools and parts is almost as expensive as sending them out. Most rebuilders give a three year unlimited mileage warranty, will powder coat or paint the trailing arms and replace the bushing in the front. Lastly, the 63/64 bearing set up is not the same as model years 65/82. Jerry
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Midyearnut
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default RR.Bearing R&R.

You might also consider Bair's in Pa.
Bob L.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 PM
cpmman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1964 Bearing tool needed

Thanks Jerry,

What should I expect to pay for a rebuiltailing arm?

Rick

QUOTE=Tampa Jerry;1560540828]Many of the vendors sell the tools to remove and set up the rear bearings. In addition to the tools you will need at the very least, a dial indicator and a press. If you have not done this in the past, think about sending the trailing arms out to Van Steel or Blairs for rebuilding. The cost of the tools and parts is almost as expensive as sending them out. Most rebuilders give a three year unlimited mileage warranty, will powder coat or paint the trailing arms and replace the bushing in the front. Lastly, the 63/64 bearing set up is not the same as model years 65/82. Jerry[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Wheel Bearings

Originally Posted by cpmman
Thanks Jerry,

What should I expect to pay for a rebuiltailing arm?

Rick

QUOTE=Tampa Jerry;1560540828]Many of the vendors sell the tools to remove and set up the rear bearings. In addition to the tools you will need at the very least, a dial indicator and a press. If you have not done this in the past, think about sending the trailing arms out to Van Steel or Blairs for rebuilding. The cost of the tools and parts is almost as expensive as sending them out. Most rebuilders give a three year unlimited mileage warranty, will powder coat or paint the trailing arms and replace the bushing in the front. Lastly, the 63/64 bearing set up is not the same as model years 65/82. Jerry
[/QUOTE]

Last year I paid about $300 per side from Van Steel. I did not pay shipping as they are local to me. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Vette rear whell bearing tool needed

Quick Reply: 1964 Vette rear whell bearing tool needed