C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

my '61 wouldn't turn off - near disaster: need your input

Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my '61 wouldn't turn off - near disaster: need your input

Well, to start this story and question, tonight I deeply regretted not getting the battery disconnect switch that is sitting on my workbench installed.....here's what happened.
I went to start my '61 to night and as it was cranking I turned the key off - but the engine kept cranking over! On top of that there was a god awful screeching/squealing sound (hard to describe, but sort of a metal-to-metal scraping/screeching). I frantically tried to turn the key off (no dice) so I quickly pop the hood to get a wrench on the battery cable and disconnect the battery.
Here's the scary part -as I'm doing all this I smell gas and see a real fine stream of gas coming out of the connection on my inline filter near the carb. WTF!!! So I grab a rag (the car is running by this point but still screeching - neighbors are coming out of their houses at this point) and block the leak. I quickly loosened the battery cable and poped it off. Car stopped of course.
Also kicking myself at this point because I've been looking at fire extinguishers online and hadn't bought one yet. If the car had caught fire sitting in our garage who knows how bad the fire would have gotten and what we would have lost aside from the '61.

aside from feeling real foolish and a bit lucky (in a bad way), here's my questions:

Does this sound like the ignition switch is the culprit?
If not, what other situations could have caused this (short in the starter)?
And what the heck might the screeching have been?

I'll take all the chiding, cautions, snid comments, etc. on this as I deserve them all, but I'd really like your constructive comments as well. Thanks,
Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Pull the Starter down and have it checked. You can check the wiring yourself with either a Multi-meter or a simple test light. Did you smell anything bad? Al W.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 PM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Default no smell

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Pull the Starter down and have it checked. You can check the wiring yourself with either a Multi-meter or a simple test light. Did you smell anything bad? Al W.
Didn't smell anything - except all the gas (not really funny though).

I should have mentioned in my original post that this situation had actually happened once before a couple months ago (except w/o the gas leak). In that instance the car did turn off after a couple tries (but it screetched then too as I described for this event). No smell that time either.

I'm a dunce about electrical, but what is the correct procedure to check the starter with the multi-meter? How am I checking it and how will know if I have a problem?

Keep the comment and suggestions coming please.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

If the starter solenoid sticks (welds itself) you could throw the fuse box in the trash along with the ignition switch and everything else and it won't stop the starter from cranking over. Battery disconnects are a must. NCRS doesn't take any points off for these little items either, I believe.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
If the starter solenoid sticks (welds itself) you could throw the fuse box in the trash along with the ignition switch and everything else and it won't stop the starter from cranking over. Battery disconnects are a must. NCRS doesn't take any points off for these little items either, I believe.

Exactly right!

Welded starter solenoid contacts! Replace the solenoid (or the whole starter - see below). The ignition coil is being fed directly from the starter solenoid when the solenoid is engaged (bypassing the ballast resistor to ensure full voltage to the coil). Even if you yanked the coil wire, the starter would of continue to turn the motor over, and that would of kept pumping gas. You did the best possible by disconnecting the battery, but of course it would of been a bit faster with the disconnect switch (as you already know).

The screeching could be the starter also (bearing?).

It could of been worse, it could of been in gear!
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-06-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.

This is probably what happened. The solenoid contacts stuck. Not all that uncommon. Take the solenoid off, take it apart and clean the contact surface of the stud that the battery cable bolts to. Also clean the disc that it contacts. Or get a new solenoid. This situation is not unique to Corvettes. It can happen to any vehicle that has contacts to spin the starter and that includes just about everything on the road.

The main thing is not to panic. The next time it happens to you, get a wrench and tighten the fuel line to stop the leak before you go grabbing at wires and creating a spark that could blow it up.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:33 PM
TEP061
Pro

You actually get points added for a fire extinguisher, battery disconect, and a NCRS sticker.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow- Glad everything turned out ok!! The screeching was probably caused by the engine starting and the starter still being engaged. Replace the solenoid as stated and also check the ignition switch function with a volt meter or test light, with the starter disconnected. I have a battery diconnect switch right inside the glove box door so I can operate it from the drivers seat and can lock the glove box for added security when leaving unattended.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 778 Likes on 533 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Look at this too. I think your starter is too tight to the flywheel. The bendix MAY be stuck to the wheel causing you noises. Possibly putting the whole starter in a bind. Something to consider.
Pops
Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

The noise you heard was coming from the starter/flywheel ring area. If was truely as loud as you sugest, take a look at the ring gear that circles the flywheel after you take off the starter. The noise was starter teeth skipping along the ring gear teeth..thats my guess.
By the way,a starter that does NOT disengage can be dangerous. My x g/f ,years ago,was driving my 67 SS 369,and this happened to her. Starter overheated (as did wires),fire resulted, entire car ended up burnt.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Invest in a Halon extinguisher - cheap insurance against disaster.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 AM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Default thanks

I've said it before - love this forum! Thanks to each of you for the replies. I'll go after the stuck solenoid as the key potential failure as many of you suggested.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

What kind of in-line fuel filter do you have? I would never trust a rubber hose with hose clamps on the pressure side of the pump.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i've taken the battery cable off numerous cars and it should keep running(alt/gen).
perhaps the starter, being stuck on, sucked enough juice to kill it. normally, this type of kill attempt won't work.
my 61 has a switch that grounds the coil minus.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Red64RoadsterMike
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
i've taken the battery cable off numerous cars and it should keep running(alt/gen).
perhaps the starter, being stuck on, sucked enough juice to kill it. normally, this type of kill attempt won't work.
my 61 has a switch that grounds the coil minus.

Unless he already turned the key off.........
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red64RoadsterMike
Unless he already turned the key off.........
Yup, key was off. But otherwise I wouldn't have known that the car wouldn't have died when I disconnected the battery cable. Matt's point was appreciated from a learning standpoint for me.

Too bad they don't have something like a "virtual beer" because if they did I'd be buying you all one each for your input.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Look at this too. I think your starter is too tight to the flywheel. The bendix MAY be stuck to the wheel causing you noises. Possibly putting the whole starter in a bind. Something to consider.
Pops

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To my '61 wouldn't turn off - near disaster: need your input

Old 06-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

when the solenoid pulls in it bypasses the ignition switch ballest resistor and hits the coil with 12v. direct. a stuck solenoid renders the key off position useless. this never happens,
well there is always the guy drinking virtual beer with the exceptiom.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:56 PM
CrCrzy
Racer

Matt,
Can you explain the switch that grounds the coil minus?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter60
Matt,
Can you explain the switch that grounds the coil minus?
Just a SPST switch (single pole/single throw) that is attached to ground on one side and the coil minus on the other. Throw the switch and it grounds the coil (like the points do, but no spark since the switch does not open until you want it to). This is one of the most common kill switches, and still effective. Hide it where you can easily get at it from the driver's seat.

Some guys convert the cig. lighter into this kill switch. Push the cig. lighter in to kill the ignition (and pull it out when you want to start the engine). Just remove the positive lead on the cig. lighter, and run a new lead from the - coil to the center terminal at the cig. lighter.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-07-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my '61 wouldn't turn off - near disaster: need your input