C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air VS Classic Air systems.....Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Vintage Air VS Classic Air systems.....Which one?

I have been on both web sites for Vintage Air and Classic Air. I have used Vintage Air before so I am familiar with them. But most guys on the forum like Classic Air. I reviewed the installation instructions on both for a 1965 Coupe with non-factory air. Both look pretty straight forward. The few things that are leaning me toward Vintage Air is the hose routing around the battery and entering the firewall from the side VS straight in. This solves the battery relocate problem. Also, Vintage does not require modification to the control ***** or console. Both are "sure fit" made for my car so I think either are well made units. Any experience with issues of either including problems installing? I am leaning toward the Vintage Air for the above reasons.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

very detailed comparisons and install how-tos exist among the posts on this forum, such as when member Subfixer was considering which way to go (he chose CA over VA).

ok, did some research for you:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ge+air+classic

here's the good how-to CA install thread, with posts from Roy and Paul:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...assic+auto+air

Last edited by ctjackster; 06-12-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the same kind of research, drove myself nuts reading all of the posts and did a detailed camparison of the installation instructions for FIVE companies.

It came down to Vintage Air for me. Two reasons (aside from the conversations I had with two Corvette restorers who use VA exclusively): 1. No reduction in glove box size and 2. Price (I arranged for a friend to become a VA dealer so I got my unit wholesale).

I put Classic Auto Air in my '67 GTO. Enjoyed working with them and had a very nice result. However, I just picked up the Vintage Air unit for my '65 roadster this AM and can't wait to get started.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
I did the same kind of research, drove myself nuts reading all of the posts and did a detailed camparison of the installation instructions for FIVE companies.

It came down to Vintage Air for me. Two reasons (aside from the conversations I had with two Corvette restorers who use VA exclusively): 1. No reduction in glove box size and 2. Price (I arranged for a friend to become a VA dealer so I got my unit wholesale).

I put Classic Auto Air in my '67 GTO. Enjoyed working with them and had a very nice result. However, I just picked up the Vintage Air unit for my '65 roadster this AM and can't wait to get started.
If you post pics and thoughts as you install I am sure other forum member would really appreciate it including myself. That will be my next project as my 65 coupe with no a/c in 100*+ temps is not much fun to drive.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be happy to do that, although some people find my innermost thoughts somewhat disturbing.

First, though, I'll be going to Arizona until the end of July. That will give me an even greater appreciation of AC!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think my main issue is the battery access. I don't really want to move the battery to the driver side unless both Vintage and Classic forces this due to hose locations. I saw on Vintage Air's web site they have what appears to be side mounted bulkheads for the hoses that will be out of the way VS over the top of the battery. Don't know what is worse, move the battery or ??? I think the Vintage Air now has adjustable louvered vents for the center console so you can direct the airflow. I did like the photos on Classic's web sight though. Nicely done.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
vetzs
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had elbows installed on the hoses to be able to direct them towards the wheel well giving me clearance for the battery. Mine was a CA install, they did give me hoses that were of sufficient length to create slack in them for easy battery removal. I liked CA's A/C and Alt mounting brackets plus the supplied fans. Very good people to work with, they want you to be satisfied.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air VS Classic Air systems.....Which one?

Quick Reply: Vintage Air VS Classic Air systems.....Which one?