C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Deceased Critters in Air Vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Default Deceased Critters in Air Vents

Okay time to fix the first problem on the Vette. I get little or no air flow from the air conditioning or heat vents but lots of unpleasant odor. I'm assuming its deceased critters and not the remains of Jimmy Hoffa, I do live in NJ but the car was from Va. Looking at the manuals I can get a good idea on how to disassemble the duct work but I'm wondering if any of you have had to go through this and if you have any suggestions to make the task easier and quicker.

Joe
Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Based on what I found on my 65 with factory A/C, it could be in the A/C-heater box.

There are square and rectangular foam/rubber sheets that were originally bonded to the various flapper doors inside the A/C-Heater box (where the heater core is). I believe the purpose was to reduce noise, and provide a good seal when the flapper doors were closed.

I too had poor air flow out of my system, and when I disassembled my A/C-Heater box last summer, I found those foam/rubber sheets had come loose and were blocking the air vents.

Unfortunately, removal of the A/C-Heater box was the only option - and based on what I experienced with my car, you've got to remove a butt-load of the dash to get that out fairly easily.

However, the left and right A/C ducts are relatively easy to remove. With those out, you can test the air flow coming out of the A/C-Heater box and go from there.

Quick Reply: Deceased Critters in Air Vents