C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Marvel Mystery Oil in Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 AM
RJD42
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Marvel Mystery Oil in Fuel?

I read this in an auto column this morning. Someone inquired about ethanol gas being used in a 65 Corvette. The reply was for cheap insurance add a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil in each tank of gas. Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard this before, BUT it begs the question....."Cheap insurance for what?" All I believe you will be doing is puffing smoke and polluting the environment.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I doubt that a continuing use of Marvel Mystery Oil in your fuel will be of any advantage. Occasional use is not such a bad thought as MMO is an effective upper cylinder lubricant that just may be beneficial. (Maybe!). For years it has worked miracles on items such as engines that are stuck after water intrusion or rusting from a long layup. Pull the plugs, pour some in and wait a few days. For more info go to Bobistheoilguy.com and do a search. Al W.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
I doubt that a continuing use of Marvel Mystery Oil in your fuel will be of any advantage. Occasional use is not such a bad thought as MMO is an effective upper cylinder lubricant that just may be beneficial. (Maybe!). For years it has worked miracles on items such as engines that are stuck after water intrusion or rusting from a long layup. Pull the plugs, pour some in and wait a few days. For more info go to Bobistheoilguy.com and do a search. Al W.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

About the only advantage that I can see is that it would lube the valve stem area this way. Other than that I have to believe that the heat in the cylinders would burn the MMO just like regular oil and as someone said, put out a little smoke. Not sure I would want to do that as I believe it would carbon up the rings and pistons.

Steve
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How do you feel?

If it makes you feel better.....Go ahead.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 AM
al329
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was watching a clip from Jay Lenos Garage...said to put some automatic tranny fluid in each tank of gas to help lube the valves.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...l?vidID=126269
Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

It probably would be adding some lube (either Marvel or ATF) to the intake stems, but won't help the exhaust stems at all, AND THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO NEED EXTRA LUBE! So it really does not make any sense.

About the only thing it would really do IS SELL MORE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL!: Does Leno have stock in Marvel or an oil company?

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-27-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:00 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Plasticman
It probably would be adding some lube (either Marvel or ATF) to the intake stems, but won't help the exhaust stems at all, AND THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO NEED EXTRA LUBE! So it really does not make any sense.

About the only thing it would really do IS SELL MORE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL!: Does Leno have stock in Marvel or an oil company?

Plasticman
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Good One!!!!

Steve
Old 07-27-2007, 01:11 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

I've used Marvel for years. It's been around since the 20s. In my older cars, I always put some in each time I fill up. I know it always sounds like snake-oil claims, but the inside of the engine is actually cleaner when it is used. Besides the lubrication factor, it also tends to polish and keep clean the intake valves, valve stems, and cylinder bores. In my '40 Chev (original engine), when I took the head off there was no build up of deposits in the head and barely no ridge at all in the cylinders. I can't say for 100% that it is a wonder product, but it has worked well over the many years I've used it and no harm was ever evident. It's a personal choice, but I like it.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Marvel

I just remember that Marvel smells like tapping fluid. It may have some of the same properties??? Jerry
Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I don't know about the cheap insurance part. I guess going to your question, what seems to be the problem with using ethanol/gasoline fuel
in a '65 Vette?

I do know it's a good penetrating oil.

I also know from experience that 1 cylinder Kohler air cooled small engines have a habit of the valves sticking in the guides after they get some age on them. The engines would get hot, start backfiring and lose power. I've had success freeing the valves up in three different engines by mising a little MMM in the gasoline and the crankcase. It appeared the only other alternative was a teardown.

I suspect that ATF would do the same but I can't verify it.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Used it for years when in Mexico cause the gas was terrible(better now) to keep the pinging down..Still use it in my diesel dodge truck to clean the injectors--Glenn pacifico
Old 07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL: this stuff has been around for 4 decades that I know. It is lead naphthanate solvent as the primary active compound with other solvents. The joke has always been in the industry… ”MARVEL that people will pay the high price and MYSTERY that people will continue to buy it. The industry calls this whole group of additives MOUSE MILK.

It is a good solvent and may clean up a sticky valve, stuck ring, etc. Probably will not do any harm, no engine manufacturers accept it, saw some engine testing 30 years ago that indicated it may deteriorate bearings.

My grandfather swore that by wearing a copper wire his arthritis was less painful.
My father was convinced if he rolled down the passenger window in his 57 Studebaker, it started more easily.
Many old mechanics swear by Marvel Mystery Oil

Last edited by devildog; 07-27-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:06 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Plasticman
Well dunno about that... but I do know he owns more cars than most....so Im more inclined to listen. And if you watched the video, he made the statment about an old Duesenberg he has. He had a valve get stuck open due to the unleaded gas.

So the old leaded gas lubed just the intake valves?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
I've used Marvel for years. It's been around since the 20s. In my older cars, I always put some in each time I fill up. I know it always sounds like snake-oil claims, but the inside of the engine is actually cleaner when it is used. Besides the lubrication factor, it also tends to polish and keep clean the intake valves, valve stems, and cylinder bores. In my '40 Chev (original engine), when I took the head off there was no build up of deposits in the head and barely no ridge at all in the cylinders. I can't say for 100% that it is a wonder product, but it has worked well over the many years I've used it and no harm was ever evident. It's a personal choice, but I like it.
I've used it for about 10 years. It's a top cylinder lubricant and goes way back. I think it's worthwhile to use, although I haven't any evidence to support that. I haven't found any harm it causes.

Dan
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by al329
Well dunno about that... but I do know he owns more cars than most....so Im more inclined to listen. And if you watched the video, he made the statment about an old Duesenberg he has. He had a valve get stuck open due to the unleaded gas.

So the old leaded gas lubed just the intake valves?
No, the old leaded fuel had lead (TEL) in it that bonded to the valve seats and valves, and that provided a cushion so that the valves/seats did not erode (as quickly) or recede from the sudden valve closing pounding (although stock Chevy cams have very soft closing rates, and almost never see recession issues to begin with!). I doubt that the lead did much in the way of lubing the stems or guides, but it did not hurt (in that regard). Adding a true liquid lubricant to the gas (Marvel or ATF or whatever) is not the same as adding lead to gas. Different effects, unless they contain TEL which is essentially banned. Adding a liquid lube to gas will not help the seats whatsoever.

Just because a well known guy says the earth is square does not make it so. Leno's experience with old cars is well known, and if something works for his purposes, then great. But that does not make it the right thing to do for all of us. The car makers have tested Marvel, Bardahl, STP, Steed, etc., etc., etc., and have never endorsed any of them. There are certainly times when a particular chemical can help solve an issue, but the fact is they are very, very limited. How many engines have you seen blowby problems fixed with "Restore"? If you wish to believe in liquid magic, then go ahead and spend your coin.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-27-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I just remember that Marvel smells like tapping fluid. It may have some of the same properties??? Jerry
The smell is a wintergreen. Hmmm, I never thought of it but MMO used to be located directly across the street from the Life Saver factory in Portchester, NY

Get notified of new replies

To Marvel Mystery Oil in Fuel?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:11 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

No, the old leaded fuel had lead (TEL) in it that bonded to the valve seats and valves, and that provided a cushion so that the valves/seats did not erode (as quickly) or recede from the sudden valve closing pounding (although stock Chevy cams have very soft closing rates, and almost never see recession issues to begin with!). I doubt that the lead did much in the way of lubing the stems or guides, but it did not hurt (in that regard). Adding a true liquid lubricant to the gas (Marvel or ATF or whatever) is not the same as adding lead to gas. Different effects, unless they contain TEL which is essentially banned. Adding a liquid lube to gas will not help the seats whatsoever.

Just because a well known guy says the earth is square does not make it so. Leno's experience with old cars is well known, and if something works for his purposes, then great. But that does not make it the right thing to do for all of us. The car makers have tested Marvel, Bardahl, STP, Steed, etc., etc., etc., and have never endorsed any of them. There are certainly times when a particular chemical can help solve an issue, but the fact is they are very, very limited. How many engines have you seen blowby problems fixed with "Restore"? If you wish to believe in liquid magic, then go ahead and spend your coin.

Plasticman
I have had extensive experience with MMO. Been using it since 1969. Used to factory race a Mustang 428 Cobra Jet in SS/HA. I used MMO exclusively during break-in and during the season. Upon disassembly we found the cylinder walls/pistons skirts had zero wear and there was NEVER any premature bearing wear as stated elsewhere in this thread. While FOMOCO did not endorse any additives (no manufacturers do) they were fully aware that we were using MMO.
I would not place MMO in the same category with Bardahl, STP, Steed etc.
No failures of Valve train, bearings or rings from 1969 thru 1975. Personally I am a supporter of MMO and still use it today. I consistently put 200,000 miles plus on my personal and tow vehicles without problems. I use it in my Craftsman riding lawnmower (10 years old/no oil usage) my boats and my air compressor.(Sears bought in 1973)Just my opinion from what I have experienced.
Furthermore I do not agree that MMO would have any benefits as a substitution for lead in gas or would it do much of anything to assist in clean emissions (other than free up sticking rings/lifters) It is not designed to increase octane rating...it is an oil. If anything it would have a negative effect on octane rating. It would be unnecessary to run it in every tankful of fuel.
A good read of the back of the container of MMO will give folks an idea of just what the product is used for and the quantity to use for the desired results.

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by vettefred; 07-27-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Joys
Instructor

I agree with Fred, adding oil to the fuel has a tendency to lower the octane rating. If your engine is in good condition it will last many years with normal use and maintenance without having to use additives.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Unaware of benefit of marvel mystery oil , but like the name .

Just adding my 2 cents, the gasoline of today eats up & deteriorates rubber... ...check the fuel line between gas tank & metal fuel line as well as between fuel pump & metal fuel line..............

I have replaced every 3 years since 1994 , on my 66 ..............

The Dog..........................

Last edited by StrayDog; 07-28-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil in Fuel?